Can you please test this?

-AAG-

I am implementing a new scaling method to my games and trying to hide the address bar on mobiles. The user should also be warned to turn their device if they are holding it incorrectly. I know, I should have done this from the get-go but I'm doing it now. I need you guys to help me test this out since I don't have a mobile device right now. I will be glad to help you integrate this to your game after I'm sure it works (and if you are a GameMaker: Studio user). 

Try the mobile version here. Please do let me know what mobile or table you used.

I also set webgl to be auto detected which makes the game run very slow on my computer is supposed to be better for mobiles. If you are in your computer and would like to test that you can do so here.

Please help me and thanks in advance.

checked on ios6 iphone5 safari. I saw turn your device screen only before game starts. It doesnt after game starts. It did scale well on ios and also removed address bar. Tested on chrome on S3 and it scales well on this too but then again no message of turn your device after game has started.

Scaling is strange on my S3 when switching back to portrait. Also, I'm able to scroll down. You should prevent that.

I usually add a regular window.scrollTo(0,1) to skip the address bar, followed by a resizing of the canvas. Depending on the game, you can add it at a touchstart event, when switching from menu to menu...

I've tested on a Firefox OS too, but skipping the address bar seems harder. I have yet to understand how it works (seems a bit different from the other browsers).

I have asus memopad me301t. I tried it in chrome. If i start the game in portrait I see the message. In landscape mode the game scales good but if I turn the device to portrait again I see only a part of the game screen.

Thanks for testing guys!

no message of turn your device after game has started.

I thought it was unnecessary. I really only scale the game once at the very beginning. I can always put the code anywhere else. I'll try it.

Scaling is strange on my S3 when switching back to portrait. Also, I'm able to scroll down. You should prevent that.

The game will not scale again after it starts I'm sure that's why it looks weird.Could the scrolling issue be connected to that?

Doesn't the scrollto trick apply only to IOS? My code to hide the bars is in the index itself, I am not calling it from anywhere in the game.

In landscape mode the game scales good but if I turn the device to portrait again I see only a part of the game screen. 

what if you switch to portrait and then back to landscape, will the game look good again? Looks like i really need to put that scale code all over the game.

As sandy234 said  i got same results in Iphone 5 and 4s safari,HTC sensation Crome

What about performance? I'm only shooting for 30 fps. 

Thank you so much guys for the input. It really sucks not to have a device. I'll be getting one next week :)

Sorry not answering your emails, I have been quite busy!  I will test the game in a few moments...

If you want to get the message to pop up during gameplay, it is really easy.

Check the browser_width vs. browser_height to see if it is portrait or landscape (higher width is landscape, etc.). Do this in an alarm that keeps repeating or a step event in a PERSISTENT object.

If the orientation is not what you want it to be, create an object that deactivates all other objects.  Have THIS object check if the orientation is back to the way you want it to be.  If it is, reactivate all objects and delete itself.

I know that Soft Games asked me to implement this for a game I submitted to them.

Thank you so much guys for the input. It really sucks not to have a device. I'll be getting one next week :)

Haha I didn't have one either for a long time. What you can do is experiment with the Opera Mobile emulator (or even the Android emulator).

Also, are the animals using? I mean, they look like they are on ecstasy :P

Fixed to have the "turn device" message pop up at any time during gameplay. Try it here.

Sorry not answering your emails, I have been quite busy!  I will test the game in a few moments...

No worries. I look forward to your results.

I know that Soft Games asked me to implement this for a game I submitted to them.

That is what prompted me to find a better scaling option. Thank you for that!

What you can do is experiment with the Opera Mobile emulator (or even the Android emulator).

My computer is slow enough to not handle even this game now that webgl is enabled (auto detect). It didn't handle it before either when it was on fullscreen so go figure.

Also, are the animals using? I mean, they look like they are on ecstasy  :P

They do drink lots of water.......

Thanks again guys!

I've just tried it again. It doesn't work in the landscape mode anymore - After fist game screen I see always only a black screen. But the portrait mode is now working great - I can switch to the portrait mode how many times I want and I always see perfectly scaled message saying to turn my device. The result is absolutly the same in Chrome and in the default android browser.

Well that's weird, why wouldn't it work anymore on landscape?  I seriously need a device.

Performance issues can easily be detected by looking at the timer, if a second takes more than a second to pass by then your going slow. Falling animals on the menu will also move very slow. The game is only supposed to last 30 seconds.

I gotta see what is causing this blackness. Thanks for the input again.

Hello I tested your game on Google chrome

The game is self is fun and graphice is cute and lovely but It have some perfomance issue

1.I feel like 30 second is longer than is should  migth because of lag

2.I FEEL laggy see at the timer or falling animals It look laggy

hopes this helps

sorry for my bad english

If you are in your computer and tried the mobile version it will scale up to fill your whole browser window and will lag for sure.

I wonder what caused that freezing. 

I am still messing around with my code. Thank you for testing.

iPad 1 iOS 4.3.3 safari:  when running initially in portrait mode it will load (small in top left of screen) then show the rotate message small in the middle of screen, when rotating to landscape it snaps to fullscreen fine (address bar doesn't disappear but it won't do on this device so not to worry).  If initially run in landscape mode it'll load (small in top left) then correctly snap to fullscreen when loaded.  When rotating to portrait at any point it will show the rotate message nice, big and clear in the centre of the screen

samsung tab2 7inch android 4.1.1.  chrome and dolphin browsers:  exactly as iPad but better performance.  firefox and stock browser: appears to load but then just shows flickering brown triangles on a beige background regardless of orientation (so not playable)

iPod touch 4th gen iOS6 safari same as iPad, but this time the loader extends off the screen if initially run in portrait mode. The address bar is successfully hidden in landscape, not in portrait. One thing to note though is if I force the address bar to appear in landscape, then hide it manually, the game doesn't expand to fill the new space - maybe you could have resize event listener as well as for orientation events?

Well my computer is old. I also just implemented the Mobility Engine and this isn't an issue anymore. Now I got new issues but I guess that's what I get for being an ignorant on the HTML5 mobile field. Oh well.