My Income Reports Blog - Updated for August

Solidus

Hello,

I am a fairly experienced developer who has alot of experience in flash game development but am new to html 5 and was hoping you could answer some questions for me.

I did read your revenue report so if I missed anything please let me know. I saw you made over 2k in sales during august. How many licenses did you sell in that time period and was it one game or multiple titles during that month? We have put together our first html title and im just looking to see if this is viable enough to continue.

Awesome to see that you can make quite some money with HTML5 games :) I see that you're only selling non-exclusive licenses for your games. Is it a common practice to only sell non-exclusive licenses for HTML5 games??

Oh and the games that have Leadbolt ads in them, do you also sell non-exclusive licenses for those or no? Or are those games that you publish by yourself??

Awesome to see that you can make quite some money with HTML5 games :) I see that you're only selling non-exclusive licenses for your games. Is it a common practice to only sell non-exclusive licenses for HTML5 games??

Oh and the games that have Leadbolt ads in them, do you also sell non-exclusive licenses for those or no? Or are those games that you publish by yourself??

Non-exclusive licenses only because that's all that are being bought.  If I sold an exlcusive license it would have to be for near 2500-3000.  I doubt it'll ever happen.

Leadbolt ads I don't put on games that I sell.  Only on those that I put on portals.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Could you please tell me what do you do in order to prevent publishers of simply take your game without paying you?

Unfortunately it's a common practice in flash world that causes tremendous loss in revenue for both developers and sponsors.

In flash many people even replace original ads and links in game to other ones to steal not just revenue but traffic as well.

Hi. Could you please tell me what do you do in order to prevent publishers of simply take your game without paying you?

Unfortunately it's a common practice in flash world that causes tremendous loss in revenue for both developers and sponsors.

In flash many people even replace original ads and links in game to other ones to steal not just revenue but traffic as well.

None of the publishers mentioned in here do that. They might be slow to pay but every1 do pay you.

I'm sure about that.

The problem is not with the honest guys. The problem with with the ones that are not.

I participate into a forum of arcade webmasters (I won't put the link here because I1m not sure whether it's allowed) and we constantly see many people stolen other works.

I'm petty sure that soon or later it will happen in HTML market too (unfortunately it will be much soon than latter).

Many webmasters that run flash sites want to sponsor HTML games but wjat I invariably hear is that it doesn't worth because they have bad experience with their flash games been stolen / modified and distribute. And in flash many games have an extra protection layer (not that much I agree): obfuscation of its binary code.

As I want to develop my own games and I also want to sponsor some of them, that's a point that really worries me.

Piracy is always a problem, the only solution is to never produce a single thing for the rest of your life. The alternative is to learn to mitigate it and live with it.

On the upside, with few exceptions, a pirated game means you're already doing very well. It's a bit like taxes in that you barely owe any except if you're already making money. GTA5 is likely the most pirated and most profitable game ever.

If you're not doing well at all and your game is still pirated, chances are the pirated version isn't going to be popular either meaning you have a more important quality problem, not a piracy problem.

Apart from all of this, HTML5 games are for a mobile market. Flash games are more for a desktop market. The implications of this are that, again with some exceptions, generally Flash games have a bigger scope than HTML5 games. Larger games with more long-term commercial potential are more prone to piracy, while HTML5 games can be very succesful by being small, polished and licensed to as many partners as possible. The reward of pirating an individual HTML5 game isn't too large and the risk it poses isn't too large either, because of the relatively smaller type of games.

Lastly, HTML5 is very much a client-based business at the moment. Piracy is a problem of your clients, not yours. Of course, indirectly it affects you. But if you break it down, you develop a game, approach partners, license to 5 of them, you get paid, the games are released. If at this point they are pirated, you're not directly affected in your revenues. In the long-run it might make partners less willing to purchase, but it's not directly costing you money at the moment of piracy.

Now of course there are many exceptions. Particularly large-scope Desktop games are at risk, I'd say, but it's not a reason to never develop anything. I'd just get started and keep your eyes open.