Ironbane MMO looking for programmers

Nikke

Ironbane is an open source cooperative action MMO played straight from your browser, using 3D graphics and a retro graphics style

logo_isolated.png

The game focuses on simple gameplay without leveling and combat using swords, axes, daggers, bows and magic staves. Our intention is to create a vast alive and immersive world

The main objective of the game is to defeat Ironbane, a dragon hiding in a castle waiting for a challenger. Future updates will include the ability to buy houses, participate in player arenas, do quests, make use of transports such as hot air balloons, boats and trains and many other things that we are still thinking of.

Play the game at http://www.ironbane.com/

Looking for programmers
Are you looking for a fun side project to work on? Ironbane runs in the browser and is on the cutting edge of web technology. It will be also great for your portfolio as we are an already mature project (started in Feb 2012). 

How's the code like?
Ironbane runs on pure Javascript, on both client and server. Javascript is arguably an easy language to work with, and it allows you to program more productively with easy debugging and no need to recompile (atleast on the client). 

What am I allowed to work on?
Anything you like! You can work on the game code, the 3D renderer, boss scripts, forum software, or others! You can work on whatever you want to work on, you basically have the power to change anything you like.

All the source code is waiting for you on GitHub. With that said, you need to learn how to use Git if you haven't yet. It's an incredible powerful tool and you will need it at some point in your life anyway. 

What's Git? I'm scared!
No need to be. Read this tutorial, it explains Git well and will get you up and running in no time. 

How do I contribute?
By making pull requests on the repository you're working on! It's that simple. Make a pull request and one of the lead developers will check it out and give you feedback. If the code looks fine, it will be pushed live to Ironbane.com instantly.

Start by reading the Getting started pages on the GitHub repository. If you need help, feel free to make an issue there or here on the forums.

Also looking for a Project Manager
Ironbane is a fun project to work on, but I have to focus on code and cannot at the same time manage a project, because it takes up too much of my time. If you have experience and motivation to manage a group of ~10 people as well as the general direction of the game, drop me a line.

Contact

E-mail : [email protected]

You can also contact me or a team member using our forum.

Screenshots

7.jpg

9.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

15.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Nikke, I really want to help but I got some problem while installing from the repo source. I tried the 0.4 and succeed partially, NPCs are all missing.

Seems issue comes from MySQL but I know nothing about it.

Here's the error message from grunt:

Warning: merge error: error with query: Error: ER_DUP_FIELDNAME: Duplicate column name 'newsletter'

I'm using node 10.18 and MAMP for MySQL (port set to 3306)