Bouncy (please test on your devices)

hilty

Hi guys,

This is my second HTML5 game.

Bouncy is a platform game.

Your objective is finish the levels, get points and unlocks new balls. :)

In the link below you can see the game (mobile web browser version):

Some Screenshots:

01.png

02.png

03.png

05.png

06.png

08.png

09.png

Please, any feedback is appreciated.

If you can, please tell in what devices/browser/mobile SO have you tested the game and how it run.

Again, thanks for the feedback. :)

Cheers.

ran about half as fast on my samsung victory 4glte than on my pc /: tested on default internet browser and chrome

fun nice looking little game with good level design

Hi Bejamon,

Thanks for the feedback.

I updated the game:

- Fixed a little bug with mouse;
- More some framerates in mobile (thanks for the feedback Bejamon); \ o /
- Game now have less than 600kb;
- Added "controls" when the game is played in mobile;

If someone test the game, please tell me what you think about it. :)
Please, tell me in what devices/browser/mobile SO have you tested the game.

Hi Hilty,

Found your game on FGL.com but cannot play there, dunno why, Anyway you have had a nice game, run very well on my pc(chrome). One suggestion I have though. It's best to have an in game instruction how to move the player. At first I thought I should use the mouse. Then tried the arrow keys boom! I'm about to hit by the spike.

Good luck. PS what framework you used? Thanks!

Im crap at these always running, jump games.  You could make it a little easier if you gave a little more hang time.  Do that thing where it slows down a bit as it reaches the top.  I think your prolly doing that already but increase it a little (for loosers like me).

On the thing of a real bounce, it would look cool if it squashed a bit at the bottom of the bounce before going back up.

If your making a version for the desktop that uses the keyboard for controls then please, for the love of god, include the ability to navigate the menus with the keyboard.  In the very least allow me to start a new game by pressing the space bar or something.  Its so dam annoying having to reach for the mouse, click on start and then move the cursor out of the way every time I want to restart.

On the next game thing...it takes to long for the score to show for my liking some times, I just want to start the next game....now!

The graphics are real dull, fair enough if you cant draw like me but still you include a bit more.  Does it have to have a flat blue background? why not a gradient.  Add some random background stuff.  And a parallax scrolling background would make this thing look waaaaaaaaay better.

The menu options disappear when I stick the mouse over them.

Right now the only way to score is to hit coins, go forward, why not make it so they score whether they move forward or backwards.  So if they want to try and get maximum points for a level they can make their character constantly go forwards and backwards which is more likely to make them die by making a mistake.

As a person that sucks at these games not having lives makes it an utterly fustrating experience.  I keep dying at the same spot on the first level.  It takes time getting to this point and up to that point its no hassle for me...but I have to do it over and over again just to try that one spot, only to die again and have to do it all again....fith go....Im fustrated and bored....next!  So lives with lots of restart points on the level would be awesome, you can always make it so theres bugger all save points in the later levels.

One thing I did love was the triangle showing me where I was off screen, a bunch of these games I tried didnt have that and it sucked.

meh.....my 2 cents ;)

Hi Hilty,

Found your game on FGL.com but cannot play there, dunno why, Anyway you have had a nice game, run very well on my pc(chrome). One suggestion I have though. It's best to have an in game instruction how to move the player. At first I thought I should use the mouse. Then tried the arrow keys boom! I'm about to hit by the spike.

Good luck. PS what framework you used? Thanks!

Hi pinoygamegeek,

Thanks for the feedback.
I follow your suggestion and I updated the game with your idea, thanks (see below the updates).
Play it and tell me what you think. :)

Im crap at these always running, jump games.  You could make it a little easier if you gave a little more hang time.  Do that thing where it slows down a bit as it reaches the top.  I think your prolly doing that already but increase it a little (for loosers like me).

On the thing of a real bounce, it would look cool if it squashed a bit at the bottom of the bounce before going back up.

If your making a version for the desktop that uses the keyboard for controls then please, for the love of god, include the ability to navigate the menus with the keyboard.  In the very least allow me to start a new game by pressing the space bar or something.  Its so dam annoying having to reach for the mouse, click on start and then move the cursor out of the way every time I want to restart.

On the next game thing...it takes to long for the score to show for my liking some times, I just want to start the next game....now!

The graphics are real dull, fair enough if you cant draw like me but still you include a bit more.  Does it have to have a flat blue background? why not a gradient.  Add some random background stuff.  And a parallax scrolling background would make this thing look waaaaaaaaay better.

The menu options disappear when I stick the mouse over them.

Right now the only way to score is to hit coins, go forward, why not make it so they score whether they move forward or backwards.  So if they want to try and get maximum points for a level they can make their character constantly go forwards and backwards which is more likely to make them die by making a mistake.

As a person that sucks at these games not having lives makes it an utterly fustrating experience.  I keep dying at the same spot on the first level.  It takes time getting to this point and up to that point its no hassle for me...but I have to do it over and over again just to try that one spot, only to die again and have to do it all again....fith go....Im fustrated and bored....next!  So lives with lots of restart points on the level would be awesome, you can always make it so theres bugger all save points in the later levels.

One thing I did love was the triangle showing me where I was off screen, a bunch of these games I tried didnt have that and it sucked.

meh.....my 2 cents ;)

Hi PAEz,

Thanks for your feedback too,
I updated the game with some of your suggestions too, please take a look and tell me what you think. Other suggestions (like the ball stay small when bounce), I need to update my framework first.

The updates:

- When you play in PC, a instruction message appears in menu screen.
- Now your score grows whenever you move.

Thanks for the feedback guys,
Cheers.

gDay

I don't seem to be able to get the updated version, I think its coz your using an Application Manifest thingy.

When I try to refresh it doesnt, even when I do ctrl-shift-f5, so if you could fix that that would be great.

Is your collision detection a little off or what?

Sometimes you hit the block but it shifts a little to the left or right and falls off, this is fine as the object is round so if it didn't hit center then it might slip off.

What's not acceptable is when I jump,line up with a block, let go of the controls, land on a block, I bounce up, I DON'T touch the controls and when it lands it falls off the block!

And I still say this game  is to hard/fustrating.  I can get further in the first level now, but still havent finished it.  Ive had 6 people give it a go and the most goes any one was willing to give it was prolly around 20 and thats only coz he was determined to beat me.  Everyone else found it too hard and hated having only one life and having to start the whole level again, theres just no learning curve, its hard...full stop.

PS Im only trying this in Chrome (latest dev) on a desktop....Im poor, I dont have any devices.

gDay

I don't seem to be able to get the updated version, I think its coz your using an Application Manifest thingy.

When I try to refresh it doesnt, even when I do ctrl-shift-f5, so if you could fix that that would be great.

Is your collision detection a little off or what?

Sometimes you hit the block but it shifts a little to the left or right and falls off, this is fine as the object is round so if it didn't hit center then it might slip off.

What's not acceptable is when I jump,line up with a block, let go of the controls, land on a block, I bounce up, I DON'T touch the controls and when it lands it falls off the block!

And I still say this game  is to hard/fustrating.  I can get further in the first level now, but still havent finished it.  Ive had 6 people give it a go and the most goes any one was willing to give it was prolly around 20 and thats only coz he was determined to beat me.  Everyone else found it too hard and hated having only one life and having to start the whole level again, theres just no learning curve, its hard...full stop.

PS Im only trying this in Chrome (latest dev) on a desktop....Im poor, I dont have any devices.

Hi PAEz,

Many, many thanks for your feedbacks. :)
I updated the game again (using your feedback, thanks).

The updates:

- Lives.
- Respawn (3 seconds).

Note:

Please tell what you think now.
Again, thanks for the feedbacks.

Cheers.

Still couldnt refresh the page, had to open chrome with another profile just to get the new version (not willing to empty my cache...dial up and all).

When I first loaded it on the browser I just got a screen telling me to change the orientation of the device.   Resizing the window to take up the whole screen fixed that.

Love the lives.  My mate wasnt happy because of the instant death falls, but I kinda like it...easier, but still hard and makes picking your path more important.

Did you slow it down a touch or have I just got that use to it? ;)
Level 3 is HARD!!

Ive been real intrigued with the idea of difficulty in games over the last week and what I decided is that difficulty is no where near as important to worry about as fustration and the sense of work.

The thing that bugs me with instant deaths in your game is that the levels are so long and if I die near the end the idea of going through all that again just to die at the same spot is just to much.

Have you tried the teleporting penguin?....

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/1694-teleporting-penguin-helicopter/
..its hard, very hard and yet Ive just about finished it and didnt ever think of it as work as much as I do yours and was always willing to give it one more shot.
The reason I figure is that each level is real small, so it only takes a bit of good luck (skill ;)) to finish a level and get your sense of self satisfaction.
So personally, Id make a bunch of smaller levels to start with before moving on to those marathons.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention that for me in Chrome (dont be supprised if its a just me thing, my comps odd) the coins have a bit of a border around them where the sprites edges would be....Ill take a screenshot later if you need it.

Still couldnt refresh the page, had to open chrome with another profile just to get the new version (not willing to empty my cache...dial up and all).

When I first loaded it on the browser I just got a screen telling me to change the orientation of the device.   Resizing the window to take up the whole screen fixed that.

Love the lives.  My mate wasnt happy because of the instant death falls, but I kinda like it...easier, but still hard and makes picking your path more important.

Did you slow it down a touch or have I just got that use to it? ;)

Level 3 is HARD!!

Ive been real intrigued with the idea of difficulty in games over the last week and what I decided is that difficulty is no where near as important to worry about as fustration and the sense of work.

The thing that bugs me with instant deaths in your game is that the levels are so long and if I die near the end the idea of going through all that again just to die at the same spot is just to much.

Have you tried the teleporting penguin?....

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/1694-teleporting-penguin-helicopter/

..its hard, very hard and yet Ive just about finished it and didnt ever think of it as work as much as I do yours and was always willing to give it one more shot.

The reason I figure is that each level is real small, so it only takes a bit of good luck (skill ;)) to finish a level and get your sense of self satisfaction.

So personally, Id make a bunch of smaller levels to start with before moving on to those marathons.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention that for me in Chrome (dont be supprised if its a just me thing, my comps odd) the coins have a bit of a border around them where the sprites edges would be....Ill take a screenshot later if you need it.

Hi PAEz,

Please could you take a print screen?
In my PC this border don't appears.

Oh, I have updated the game, notes:

- Added a exit button in menu screen and pause mode;
- Fixed a little bug in collision;

Note:

Chrome on Galaxy S2: perfectly smooth  ;)

Thanks. :)

Now I need that someone test it in iOS.

I updated the game. Notes:

- Counter to show the player how much to reach the end of level.
- General optimisation: The game download now has less than 550kb. \ o /