New 3D instructional video!

ozRocker

You guys have probably figured that when I start asking a lot of annoying questions it means I'm working on something  :P

I want to have a way where people can learn how to dance or do martial arts from 3D videos.  This way they can pause, slow down, skip timeline and watch at a different angle.  I'm hoping to get a motion capture rig soon, but in the meantime I've been working with the animation functions to get the controls working.  You can have a play here http://www.punkoffice.com/tori  This should work on most modern mobile devices too (works on my iPhone 6+).  Have a play and tell me what you think 

Might be just me, but I just make sure I have had a beer first before dancing. :D

Think doing a golf swing thing might be something that could be popular with a general / mass audience.  The arc rotate camera would be real good for people watching / freezing at different angles.  CMU some mocaps for this.  They could suck though.  As you have your own setup, you could probably do your own.  Audience for golf dwarfs dancing & martial arts.  They have money too, in most cases.

This can be used for all kinds of animations.  I just picked martial arts and dancing because that is an area I know.

I've fixed a few bugs, added tooltips and made it work well on mobile portrait and landscape.

Deltakosh I'm more than happy for you to publish it on babylonjs.com now  :)

I've added the 2nd person (opponent) and put in buttons so you can hide a person.  Still runs smoothly on mobile devices.  I'm going to be pitching this to Dana White, President of the UFC.  He's in my city on Saturday giving a talk.  I have to find a way to show him this, even if it means fighting my way through security!

Looks pretty awesome! I have a photogrammetry stage too.

Have you attempted to throw all those cameras on burst and capture a leg kick then create blend shapes out of them?

I dont have enough cameras to go all around a character so I have just did it with facial animation.  I'm curious to see if you could capture something like a kick!

Have you attempted to throw all those cameras on burst and capture a leg kick then create blend shapes out of them?

Blend shapes are neat, but I wouldn't be using them for everything.  Babylon.js can't actually do blend shapes (morph targets) so unfortunately that rules it out completely :( Apart from that, I physically can't do it because I use external flashes which won't charge up fast enough.  If I used continuous lighting it would be blinding for the subject.  My rig is high-def so the settings are cranked very high and require a big boost of lighting.  Also there's focusing problems.  I'd have to set all cameras to manual focus but even with the highest f-stop there would still be blur problems because of how far the legs extend (this is why scanners prefer A-pose instead of T-pose).  Even if I did solve all those problems I would still use joints for limb animation.  Its much cheaper to use because you just have data for joint movement instead of data for every moving vertex.  I also prefer joints in general because the data is a lot more useful and easier to manipulate.  Its better for me to have a bone called "left forearm" which moves in an arc as opposed to a bunch of unnamed vertices going from (x,y,z) to (x,y,z).  That being said, blend shapes give you more detailed control and I'd definitely be using them for facial expressions.

I've got another one up here www.punkoffice.com/mma  Its not perfect but it demonstrates what I'm trying to achieve more clearly.  I'm limited to only 25 bones though, before I get the "Too many uniforms" error on mobile devices.  It really sucks because I've had to remove some bones from the hands and feet and neck.  I hope mobile devices get more RAM quickly!

I would love to capture an exotic style like Russian sambo.  Its such a cool grappling style but so rare to find instructors (well, impossible in Australia).  This is an experiment though.  I don't think anyone has done mocap with 2 people wearing inertial mocap suits.  The result could be crap.  I've ordered one inertial mocap suit so I'll see how that goes before getting the other.