Not so much a question as an answer I hope. Scroll down to the bottom if you want to get to the important bit about how to do it.

Very slowly I am putting together a BJS Guide as a companion to the official documentation and working on materials I came across reflectionTextures and MirrorTextures.and got well lost. With some help from @Deltakosh

I sort of got it for coordinatesMode and started on mirrors and couldn't make them work. So after a search or two I found @Luaacro 's book , @JCPalmer 's and @dbawel 's discussion

All very useful but I knew I had to sort out mirrors for my own satisfaction. First I needed to know if the reflection was as far behind the mirror as the object was in front, set I set up the construction of a rod from the object to where the reflection should be then I set out to play with mirrors until it worked. Finally after three days I think I have cracked it (so forgive me for a little joy and the post)

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1YAIO7#3

HERE BE CRACKED MIRRORS

Hopefully this will be useful for others - the important bit - the explanation lies with the guide http://babylonjsguide.github.io/advanced/Reflect

The guide is in early days of construction so not much there at the moment but it is something I can give back to BJS, et al.