[WIP] Drift Team

Slicks

9 hours ago, Marius said:

are the other players real or bots/IA ?

They are replays of real people.  Once you race, your replay is saved, and the next person will be racing against you.  Once a few people race the same track, then the replays are reset, and the process starts over again (the first driver to race, gets a ghost replay car to race against).

However, some tracks have traffic (which is bot/IA).  Like this one:

Untitled.jpg.0917dd31a9951623d5b175703c9ef797.jpg

If there is a name below the car, then it is a replay of a real person, otherwise, it's traffic.

Also, if you hit traffic, then both cars are affected by the collision.  However, if you hit another person, because it's a replay, only your car will be affected by the collision, so you will come off worse.  So, avoid hitting other players.  :D

42 minutes ago, Marius said:

yes. I noted. But... Can I play also against my friends in real time?

No, not at the moment.  I've deployed the game on Google App Engine which doesn't natively support opening web sockets.  So, there would be a fair bit of work to get that going.

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 5:02 PM, Marius said:

yes. I noted. But... Can I play also against my friends in real time?

You now can!  ...sort of.  ?

I've added private friend races.  It's still turn by turn racing, however, you can see when your friend is racing, and you can race right after they have finished their race.  I know it isn't what you were after, but it's a start.  ?

Demo video:

Have fun drifting with you friends!  https://drift.team/?p=friendrace

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 8:45 PM, mattstyles said:

That was great, I really enjoyed this game.

I did, however, have a few places where I seemed to crash but I wasn't anywhere near an obstacle or car. The first practise one (chase?) had a few places where I'd crash for no obvious reason.

Hi Mattstyles, Glad to hear you enjoyed it!  What's your race name?  I record every race, so hopefully I'll be able to debug what's going on.  Or, if you go to your profile Settings -> Profile, you can see your last few races, can you put the URL of the race that had a problem.  Thanks!

EDIT:  Never mind, I found you.  "The Beast"  https://drift.team/?p=user&id=5678400924549120  ?  I see the weirdness.  You're right, it looks like your car is hitting something, but there is nothing there.  Very strange.  Time to start debugging.

EDIT 2:  Found the bug.  The traffic cars have gone invisible.  Woops!  Fix coming soon.

EDIT 3:  All fixed.  When I made changes to render ghost cars, I messed up the rendering of the traffic cars.  Traffic cars are now back!  You can now see them hitting you and spinning you out  https://drift.team/?p=replay&id=5637840645914624  Sorry about that, and thanks for noticing the bug!  I really should do more testing.  ?

• 2 months later...

To help the beginner drifters out there, I've added spin control, and auto braking.  These can be turned on/off in game:

image.png.d3d683cca98abb73624f623f93468793.png

The spin control will detect if your drift is about to get out of control, and will steer into the drift for you.

The auto brake will detect if you are about to head off the track, and will apply the brakes for you.

I've tried to make them not too aggressive, so there is still skill involved in drifting the car.

Please let me know if you like them or not.

Happy drifting!  ?   https://drift.team/

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RagingPixel said:

It's great game, can't wait to see multiplayer mode. 

How much time did you invest in this one?

Thanks!  I've been working on it in my spare time for about 3 years.  I'd estimate I've spent about 600 hours on it (about 4 months full time).  The track editor is taking waaay more time then I expected, and it's still not finished!  :rolleyes:

I'm really hoping Google App Engine Standard supports websockets soon.  Then real time multiplayer will be easy to implement.  Otherwise, I'd need to switch over to their flexible environment, and do all the Docker packaging, and boring stuff like that.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Lots of new updates:

• Track editor improvements.
  • Friend chat.
  • Favourite tracks.
  • Top time notifications.
  • VIP benefits.

And people have been making some crazy tracks!

There's now been over 500 tracks created!

Check it out:  https://drift.team/  Completely free.  Mobile friendly.  Totally HTML5.  ?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...