Babylon Projects

GameMonetize

Wow!  Temechon has modeling talent, too, eh?  Friggin' good stuff, t-doggy-dog!  I have had stuttering audio problems on many BJS scenes in the past, but today, it's perfect. 

Anyone else seeing some possible z-fighting flashing along some floor lines?  *shrug*  Just curious. 

• 2 weeks later...

my baby-steps in game making, already noticed that a big chunk of time is being sunk in performance optimization instead of modeling/coding :)

Note: yes, avatar does not have a skin yet (probably a good thing, would otherwise be nude), and does not animate yet. I started learning rigging last week haha and only tried it on the horse you might see if it loads.

Also it might take a little patience for all assets to show up. If you see mesh grass and other foliage, and some buildings, you should be good.

http://misc.blicky.net/babylon/

move with WASD. Performance tips welcome :)

@AsimiAsl, yeah, works better now. :)

Okay, here the current version of that space thingy: http://p215008.mittwaldserver.info/space/ (be patient, it might load a bit slow and didn't use any asset manager yet :P )

Click to fly around and explore the galaxy ;) That's all you can do so far. Planed features collisions with asteroids, maybe a cool energy shield effect with fresnel, space station to get upgrades for the ship, more spaceships, LASERS!, shooting asteroid, explosions .... space derbies (after explosions) with jeromes solid particle system, ... and everything else I want to try out... maybe some kind of story :P

What is this warning in the console about?

[.WebGLRenderingContext-0x7fe5b1cee690]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glDrawElementsInstancedANGLE: Source and destination textures of the draw are the same.

@Ahiru: that seems to be a chrome problem. We had a discussion about it here: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/16080-webgl-error-with-godrays-gl-invalid-operation/?hl=%2Bwebgl+%2Berror

I think the result of the discussing was that a bug report has been made with the dudes at google :P But I don't know where exactly I can see that bug report and if there is any news on that topic yet :( I didn't have time to continue working on it yet anyways.

@Convergence: that fire and it's light effects look pretty cool, how did you make that? Care for a mini tutorial or something? :D

post-12304-0-51647000-1441449291.jpg

Impressive!

Thanks :) Any performance tips/considerations from the master? :P

@Convergence: that fire and it's light effects look pretty cool, how did you make that? Care for a mini tutorial or something? :D

I mostly followed this tutorial actually: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/creating-fire-in-a-particle-editor-r2609 sans some of the fancy stuff like easing; and im lazy so i only used one texture instead of the suggested 3 or more. 

Oh and for the light, its just a PointLight that randomly changes intensity every frame.

Quote from the end of the fire particules tutorial you mentionned :

"Another way to export fire into a game is to use a developer version of the program Magic Particles (Dev). This version has an API to export the special effects into the game engine at a level of

processing particles."

If Magic Particules is well known and used in pro games and movies graphic field, that may be interesting to port for BJS.

Convergence: your demo is impressive to say the least. I'd be most curious to know how you handled world building. It's obviously not a simple blender imported scene, as the game wouldn't be able to recognize where to put what seems to be randomized, instanced foliage.

A little bit of advice for performance, if it ever helps: try activating the scene debug layer ( scene.debugLayer.show() ), and take a look at what takes most of the time. On my computer, it seems that the frame update time is quite high, but I haven't investigated much more. Is it possible that some expensive computation is done every frame unnecessarily?

Your draw calls are definitely in the range of reason, so this is a very good thing. Same thing for the amount of active meshes. Well done :)

Convergence: your demo is impressive to say the least. I'd be most curious to know how you handled world building. It's obviously not a simple blender imported scene, as the game wouldn't be able to recognize where to put what seems to be randomized, instanced foliage.

A little bit of advice for performance, if it ever helps: try activating the scene debug layer ( scene.debugLayer.show() ), and take a look at what takes most of the time. On my computer, it seems that the frame update time is quite high, but I haven't investigated much more. Is it possible that some expensive computation is done every frame unnecessarily?

Your draw calls are definitely in the range of reason, so this is a very good thing. Same thing for the amount of active meshes. Well done :)

The foliage is indeed randomized (x and z), with pos.y being updated through a Ray.intersect(groundMesh) when the character moves, which is a bit of a performance hit, I'm hoping there is a speedier solution than Ray.intersect. its only being done every 8 frames or so, so it shouldn't affect FPS too much.

XromfJo.jpg

This is a typical profile when walking around, it seems like intersectTriangle is often on top, which I believe is part of the collision engine (and also used by Ray.intersect). I'm guessing the obvious optimization would be to substitute most meshes with collision dummies? (sigh.. not looking forward to that).

Another big one is garbage collection, no clue how to go about optimizing that, other than naming anonymous functions in the renderloop, which I don't have any of.

Hey guys,

I have being working with a terrain generator (libnoise) with a layer of glue in the middle (WebApi) to adapt the library to my necessities and a web client to navigate with babylon.js.

I am pretty new with babylon and ui in general. I am more a back-end guy, but I enjoyed building this.

Not sure what would be the next step. Still thinking about it, and open get some feedback!!

http://wtwd.cloudapp.net/TerrainGeneratorClient/

account: [email protected]

pass; demoaccount

NOTE: Click the login button, pressing just enter won't work :P

TerrainGeneratorWebClient_01.png

@iiceman: I have restarted the service. It looks like I have some stability issues :) I guess that more people than expected tried to access. It is working now.

It is actually better if you just create an account instead of use the demo one, Each account is saving the last location visited and therefore doesn't make sense to have several people connected with the same account. It could cause problems.

If you decide to create one, use any silly password because is not secure yet.

Please, try it again.

I tried again and failed before I finally managed to get it working.

When trying to register an account...

The blue bar says: There was a problem! error:Bad Request

Console says: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request)#

Then I figured that I have to use an email addess... thought I could use a fake one... didn't expect that you already send a confirmation email :P

I finally tried the demo account again and it worked. So all good, was just me who couldn't get it right, but more hints in the registration process might be helpful ;)

It looks pretty cool, well done. I found some smaller issues on the coast... or maybe you meant to do it like that, I don't know.

post-12304-0-78409600-1442299544_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I just finished my first foray into babylon.js, doing a week long game project with 3 other people.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone on this board for you great questions and insightful answers. This board was a great tool to mitigate the learning curve. 

Anyways, we made a multiplayer robot racing game (with explosions), we're pretty proud of it.

Game: http://r6redux.herokuapp.com/

Game with shadows: http://r6redux.herokuapp.com/?shadows=1

Github:  https://github.com/hrr8-hermes/hrr8-hermes

Screenshot:robosnapshot.png

I was especially thankful for the Max exporter. It was probably the leading reason we chose Babylon. 

Comments, critique, criticism are all welcome and appreciated. 

Apparently the link was to https and not http. It should now be all working.  Thanks for clicking.  :)

I'm sure it was an immense amount of work, you had a full UI goin on, and not the built in maxscript windows either. While I was a programmer on this, I was an animator prior and I feel that the more accessible this tech is to artists / designers the more successful it will be (cooler projects.) If I had time, I would have delved into the Unity tool. Layout was definitely an awkward thing, I just built everything as a single mesh with a single texture and did some unit conversion due to time pressure.