Phaser Path Manager sneak peak

rich

post-1-0-31997800-1407199717.png

I'm pleased to say that the new Phaser Path Manager plugin is now feature complete :) Created by Pete Baron and myself it's a really powerful pathing system that allows you to create complex paths with ease, and have any sprite traverse them, any way you want.

The paths use Hermite curves and you can control the accuracy of them dynamically. Path nodes emit events when objects reach them, allowing you to create all kinds of options.

Any object with an exposed x/y coordinate can follow a Path, but obviously they're perfect for Sprites. You can control the speed of each Sprite along the path independently and they can even orientate to the path or not, with their own angle offset as well.

Paths are defined using a simple json structure and many Sprites can share the same path data, minimising memory use. They even work with Arcade Physics objects :) Use them to create interesting attack patterns in a shoot-em-up, to allow characters to follow irregular shaped terrain, or for special effects and intro sequences. We believe Paths are a genuinely useful addition to most genres of game.

Full disclosure: This will be the first commercial plugin we've ever released for Phaser, and as such will be a bit of an experiment to test the market.  There will be a number of different packages available to match all budgets.

I'll announce more details as we near release.

Hermite curve interpolation and collision detection is pretty easy to set up and quite a few of those already exist on github.

So I don't really get the point of this yet. Guess I'll just wait until it is released.

Hermite curve interpolation and collision detection is pretty easy to set up and quite a few of those already exist on github.

So I don't really get the point of this yet. Guess I'll just wait until it is released.

The existence of a plugin doesn't force you to not use a free alternative, if you want to invest the effort of fully integrating that into Phaser.

My guess would be the time (and by proxy the money) you'd spend in doing so would considerably outweigh the few dollars we'll charge for this - at least if you do it properly to the degree that we've done for our plugin.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds great. I'm little bit interested on the path declaration formats if would be possible to convert (or use directly) the raw data from http://drawscri.pt/ which allows you to create and export paths from Adobe Illustrator into code. Not that the Curvy tool wouldn't look great, but trying to avoid extra tools where possible when the designers are familiar already with the Adobe tools.

Will this include Path finding on tilemaps?

Nope, it's a motion path tool, not a path finding tool.

The data format is plain JSON that describes the hermite curves and all of their properties, so very easy to parse. So I don't see why it couldn't be generated from Illustrator on the basic level, assuming it uses the same way of handling paths (if it uses more expensive Bezier curves then it won't be compatible) although Illustrator (or draw script) wouldn't be capable of adding branching, segment speeds, rotation values, etc. It'd just be a pure path. To do anything more complex with it you'd still need to load it into Curvy (or manipulate the path nodes directly in code).