Phaser Isometric plugin

lewster32

Hey lewster32, I'm working on the Phaser 3 rendering engine right now and I wondered if there's anything particular you might find useful in a renderer (for your iso work) which isn't already in Phaser + Pixi... or any features which are incredibly useful and you'd hate to lose?

Feel free to PM if you want to discuss this in more detail than this thread may permit :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks absolutely awesome. Isometric has always been one of my favorite projections.

Would love to try making a little puzzle game a la Captain Toad Treasurer Tracker if I find the time. Thank you for all your hard work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, awesome plugin for Phaser. 

I have some questions regarding depth sorting. Although, pre-warning, this may not be the appropriate question here as it just may be my lack of experience with phaser itself.

When I change the isoX and isoY properties of a sprite. its depth also seem to change (checked with sprite.depth).
I have tried adding 2 sprites, each to a different group, and change the group's order so that the depth is 'to some extent' maintaining its order, but its doesn't seem to work. I've also tried using iso.simpleSort but that didn't do it either.

Can you provide me with more insight of how I may keep their depth fixed? 

EDIT: Nope nevermind. It was my misunderstanding of asynchronous data handling. awesome plugin

Edited by Hung.H

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all, hello there everyone! :D

Secondly, can you show the bounding box of a sprite's body, just like you would in regular phaser physics? I tried using game.debug, but it doesn't seem to have any similar methods.

Thank you!

One more question: when I set the world bounds to a larger value, the mouse pointer example fails to show the real (x,y,z) value where the mouse points to. Is this a known bug, or do you have to translate

game.iso.unproject(game.input.activePointer.position, cursorPos);

to something else?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i recently started working with Typescript, Phaser and your Isometric Plugin. It took a while to get along with it,

especially with some of the Typescript difficulties. Thanks to edgarjcfn's post i finally got it too work.

I had problem working with IsoArcade though, i found a way but i dont think its the nicest workaround.

I first tried just starting IsoArcade with this, like in the examples of Javascript:

But in TypeScript it doesn't seem to work because "game.physics.isoArcade" is still undefined.

this.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.ISOARCADE);

So, in phaser.plugin.isometric.d.ts i added the following line to class Isometric extends Phaser.Plugin

arcade: Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.Arcade;

and then i started IsoArcade like this:

this.isoPlugin = <Phaser.Plugin.Isometric> this.add.plugin(new Phaser.Plugin.Isometric(this));//...this.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.ISOARCADE);this.isoPlugin.arcade = new Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.Arcade(this);

It seems to work fine like this, but maybe some of u guys know a better way to do it? Or maybe i'm just doing sth wrong.

PS: Anyways, thanks for the plugin lewster32. I really like working with it.

Hello,

Thanks for making this awesome plugin !

Is there any map editor so we can create levels easily ?

Edit: it looks like it's not compatible with phaser V2.3, im gettting some errors when using with 2.3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

re 135° oblique,

I cant seem to get this thing to render correctly.  I posted something a long time ago and no one replied to it:

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/16307-newb-isometric-issue-rendering-correct-size/#entry92313

Doesn't help that I didnt name it correctly,at the time i thought it was isometric, but apparently not.

Any chance I can get some help with this?

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

So, in phaser.plugin.isometric.d.ts i added the following line to class Isometric extends Phaser.Plugin

arcade: Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.Arcade;

for TypeScript, if you don't want to edit source, you can also bypass errors using bracketed property notation, rather than dot syntax

this should work.. 

isoPlugin['arcade'] = new Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.Arcade(this.game) 

post-16536-0-78066100-1444483929.png

• 3 months later...
On 13/11/2014 at 7:30 AM, lewster32 said:

If you need the 180° oblique projection, this doesn't require the plug-in at all, as it can be achieved perfectly well in 2D space :)

@lewster32 I am interested in the 180º oblique projection and I know it can be achieved in the 2d space, but I would like to use the plugin to help with the z sorting. Is it possible?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm playing with this plugin in a typescript example project and, after some trial and error, I got it working thanks to Wambo1992's and jmp909's posts. But there must be something I'm missing, because I've not been able to set the world's gravity. It works when I add the gravity to each object individually (this.player.body.gravity.z = -600), but I would like to set entire world's gravity at once. Anybody knows why is this happening?

Thanks

Here is my code:

preload() {
      // Add the Isometric plug-in to Phaser
	    this.isoPlugin = <Phaser.Plugin.Isometric> this.add.plugin(new Phaser.Plugin.Isometric(this.game));
      this.game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.ISOARCADE);
      this.isoPlugin.arcade = new Phaser.Plugin.Isometric.Arcade(this.game);

this.game.load.image('cube', 'assets/sprites/cube.png');
    }

create() {
      // Create a group for our tiles, so we can use Group.sort
      this.isoGroup = this.game.add.group();

// Set the global gravity for IsoArcade.
      this.isoPlugin.arcade.gravity.setTo(0, 0, -500);

//CUBE
      var cube = this.isoPlugin.addIsoSprite(128, 128, 0, 'cube', 0, this.isoGroup);
      cube.anchor.set(0.5);
      this.isoPlugin.arcade.enable(cube);
      // Add a full bounce on the x and y axes, and a bit on the z axis.
      cube.body.bounce.set(1, 1, 0.2);
      // Add some X and Y drag to make cubes slow down after being pushed.
      cube.body.drag.set(100, 100, 0);
      // Collide with the world bounds so it doesn't go falling forever or fly off the screen!
      cube.body.collideWorldBounds = true;
//PLAYER
      this.player = this.isoPlugin.addIsoSprite(200, 200, 0, 'cube', 0, this.isoGroup);
      this.player.tint = 0x86bfda;
      this.player.anchor.set(0.5);
      this.isoPlugin.arcade.enable(this.player);
      this.player.body.collideWorldBounds = true;
      //this.player.body.gravity.z = -600;

// Set up our controls.
      this.cursors = this.game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();

this.game.input.keyboard.addKeyCapture([
          Phaser.Keyboard.LEFT,
          Phaser.Keyboard.RIGHT,
          Phaser.Keyboard.UP,
          Phaser.Keyboard.DOWN,
          Phaser.Keyboard.SPACEBAR
      ]);

var space = this.game.input.keyboard.addKey(Phaser.Keyboard.SPACEBAR);

space.onDown.add(()=> {
          this.player.body.velocity.z = 300;
      });

}

update() {
      // Move the player at this speed.
        var speed = 100;

if (this.cursors.up.isDown) {
            this.player.body.velocity.y = -speed;
        }
        else if (this.cursors.down.isDown) {
            this.player.body.velocity.y = speed;
        }
        else {
            this.player.body.velocity.y = 0;
        }

if (this.cursors.left.isDown) {
            this.player.body.velocity.x = -speed;
        }
        else if (this.cursors.right.isDown) {
            this.player.body.velocity.x = speed;
        }
        else {
            this.player.body.velocity.x = 0;
        }

// Our collision and sorting code again.
        this.isoPlugin.arcade.collide(this.isoGroup, this.player, ()=>{});
        this.isoPlugin.projector.topologicalSort(this.isoGroup);

}

• 4 months later...

Newbie question here: What is the recommended setup for getting a tile set to show up in game? I've used Tiled previously for orthogonal tile maps, but Phaser doesn't like isometric maps from Tiled. Is it better to avoid Tiled? Should I use a JSON atlas? I just want to be able to load an isometric level from a JSON file and have it show up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!