Newgrounds now accept HTML5 games

hima

It looks like Newgrounds now allows you to upload HTML5 games. They'll even ask you if the game is playable on mobile devices. 

This could be a sign for Newgrounds will be a potential sponsor in the future.

Still, it's a portal with high traffic already so it might be good if you want to promote your game or earn ads revenue?

(Many people might have known this already but I searched the forum and haven't found any post about this. Sorry if it's already been posted somewhere!)

Why's that Rich? I released my desktop HTML5 game to Kongregate, GameJolt and Newgrounds, and whereas the amount of views for the former two are in the hundreds, at Newgrounds it received close to 70,000 plays and 30 pages of feedback. I don't monetize my games now, I'm happy enough just having them played by as many people as possible, and Newgrounds is the runaway winner here. For those who do monetize, 70,000 views suggests some earning potential from ads,

Sorry but 70k plays will make you hardly anything from ads.

70k per day would be better, but that's still not very high really.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased your game was well received there, but that's a fraction of the traffic a mainstream release used to get there say 5 years ago.

Some games definitely do really well from ads, yes - but they need to be spread much further than just Newgrounds to be really effective. The problem with ad revenue is that it changes so much! Depending on the ad networks portfolio, the time of the year, the number of other games running ads, etc.

It's not a great comparison because it's Flash and desktop, but I make approx. $15 on 70,000 impressions. I'm sure some others can give you figures from Leadbolt or similar.

• 1 month later...

I did some quick research with this web traffic estimator, and it looks like all the sites that have games for desktop are declining, most of which are down 15% from last year. This included sites like Addicting Games, Miniclip, Newgrounds, and NotDoppler. The only exception to this rule was Kongregate, which was up 15%. So interpret this however you'd  like, but it looks like the start of the end for these desktop gaming sites. I bet most kids are playing games on tablets or other devices now.

I did some quick research with this web traffic estimator, and it looks like all the sites that have games for desktop are declining, most of which are down 15% from last year. This included sites like Addicting Games, Miniclip, Newgrounds, and NotDoppler. The only exception to this rule was Kongregate, which was up 15%. So interpret this however you'd  like, but it looks like the start of the end for these desktop gaming sites. I bet most kids are playing games on tablets or other devices now.

First of all those are just estimations, I talked to one portal that lost 5K in Alexa (around 12K) and they told me it's not correct, they are having their peak traffic at the moment. Second of all, desktop traffic will never die, it will only decrease to a certain amount. When I'm at home/office, I much rather game on a desktop pc with a mouse than stare at a 4-7 inch screen and tilt it :)

First of all those are just estimations, I talked to one portal that lost 5K in Alexa (around 12K) and they told me it's not correct, they are having their peak traffic at the moment. Second of all, desktop traffic will never die, it will only decrease to a certain amount. When I'm at home/office, I much rather game on a desktop pc with a mouse than stare at a 4-7 inch screen and tilt it :)

Ah, well thanks for the heads up then.  :)

As Ozdy says I wouldn't give much weight to estimation sites like that. But I do think it's fair to say that the Flash market is changing considerably, and not for the better, otherwise there wouldn't be so many Flash devs on here! It's a bit of a shame really, I remember when getting a game featured on NewGrounds was a recipe for thousands upon thousands of plays, but these days that has tailed off considerably. Armor, MiniClip, notDoppler, they're all paying for direct builds of games now rather than sponsoring whatever comes along - I guess they get more control over the end content that way (and it makes sense too). The traffic is still there though, but the supply/demand is altering.