isometric rpg needs your help

uzudil

Arkona (working title) is an isometric retro rpg in a style you may remember if you played pc games in the 90s. :-)

I'm looking for people who are just into this stuff. The game is in a relatively early stage and is meant as a hobby project only. 

I could use help with:

- music/sound fx (there are none so far)

- 3d artist: is toon-shaded creature animation your thing?

- pixel artist: see screenshot below for reference

- coder: phaser+es6+webpack, there is a lot to do (combat, inventory, pathfinding, etc.)

- other: want to write conversations, design levels, etc?

Get the source here:

https://github.com/uzudil/arkona

Thanks for considering!

--U

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 5.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 9.06.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 9.04.58 AM.png

Just want to say you do some great stuff. Ermin, Merc, and now this. You don't stick to genres, do you :)
Can't really help you, except for some play-testing.
Some quick observations/wishes (in no particular order):

• smooth(er) scrolling?
  • full window/screen
  • help (for keys, such as T for Talk)
  • allow Enter in menu (spacebar feels odd, except maybe when toggling WebGL, don't want to use the mouse)
  • make more obvious world boundaries (I can't tell if it's an edge or if I'll get another map?)

8 hours ago, uzudil said:

Great! What are you interested in helping with? I have little (and big) projects for coders, graphic artists, etc. Thanks!

Well I would like to dwell into things I have never worked with so I could gain more experience. I am never did nothing like pathfinding and combat seems interesting. Would you inform me more about your requirements in those'

Stumbled upon this post, checked out Ermin and gotta say that it's a really cool game - albeit hard. This new project looks even cooler and I'd like to help. Altough I'm not an artist I'm pretty good at creating GUI's (here's an unfinished project from 5 years ago back, I've evolved a bit since) and I would love to tinker and create the combat mechanics - I've got full notebooks of detailed gameplay mechanics for games I still have to make. :)

The only drawback (which I hope to address soon) is that I'm not using Github or any other VCS (so I don't even know how to contact you there but I can send you my skype). Other than that I don't know what your release timeline is - I can invest 5 to 10 hours a week. 

Thanks Scheffgames! You can email me at cctorok at Yahoo dot com.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on combat mechanics. In general, I'd like to keep the RPG aspects of the game low, so it's mostly a story driven adventure game with RPG elements.

In other news, I implemented smooth scrolling (and smooth movements for NPCs) and it looks really good! Thanks for the suggestion.

8 hours ago, uzudil said:

In other news, I implemented smooth scrolling (and smooth movements for NPCs) and it looks really good! Thanks for the suggestion.

Wouldn't call it smooth yet, but much better :)

Did I find a depth-sorting bug? (I am behind the tree, not behind the roof...)

arkona2.png.b619af8b9c6d830f917b6cfe99558cdc.png

@Milton could you the latest? I made some changes to boost fps (and added stats.js so you can see it) and on my mac I'm getting framerates around 56-60 in canvas mode.

The second (yellow) gauge shows you the number of sprites rendered/updated vs. the total for the map.

Thanks!

Very smooth 60 fps (5 year old HP i5 with an onboard Intel GPU). WebGL is slightly slower.
Don't like the Player/NPC 'swap' behaviour, the whole screen jumps.

BTW, got this at first:

ERROR in Use of const in strict mode.
 @ multi app

Updating node helped.