Monetizing a web game

Puflo

I made a multiplayer HTML5 game for web browsers but i have no idea how to monetize it.

I don't have a google adsense account and I don't think they'd accept my game with low (20-30) amount of players, i can't afford server prices without ads.

Any suggestions are welcome. (except sites that show popup ads or only has paypal as payment method)

Depending on the "quality" you could license your game to portals like Kongregate & ArmorGames. If you want more immediate feedback both from players and traffic sources I suggest publishing the game on a domain matching game title (gametitlehere.com). Start a campaign on Bing adwords or Facebook ads, even 5$ can buy you some data that'll help you understand who, where and when players are playing your game. 

I'm all for kicking  ideas around. I'd love to play your game.

• 1 month later...

Maybe avoid ads?  Sell IAP, schwag, avatar clothing, extra-stuff, screen-credits, etc. Everyone hates ads, and it makes you an employee of Google (and they can "fire" you if they don't like you). Ads cheapens the user experience. I would do anything other than have ads.

On 11/25/2017 at 6:22 PM, Puflo said:

I made a multiplayer HTML5 game for web browsers but i have no idea how to monetize it.

I don't have a google adsense account and I don't think they'd accept my game with low (20-30) amount of players, i can't afford server prices without ads.

Any suggestions are welcome. (except sites that show popup ads or only has paypal as payment method)

If you are testing the waters then try Kongregate. You will start seeing results immediately and it exposes you to a large audience which is pretty decent on giving honest reviews so you will also know what works and what doesn't. Money will come later once you have built a loyal following.

micro-payments, it is a good way to make money with a game. In the past, with my browser game, I did excellent profits thanks to these micro-payments. Selling boosters, clothes and more.

Also a continuous and stable selling is the implementation of subscription. My game has almost 11 years old and there are still some subscriptions running on there.

Think about packages of options, then you have the subscriptions. Divide them into Gold, Premium or whatever else you want as package names, you will have multiple subscriptions with multiple prices for a large public.

You just have to find a balance to do not impact the game with these kind of profits, players that do not pay do not like that kind of impacts and if you have more players that do not want to pay then, that could be an issue.

Being looser just because you do not pay in a game is frustrating, that's what I mean by finding a good balance.