Chi Garden

vids

Link

You might like to argue that ChiGarden is not much of a game and more of a tech demo, but it's quite fun if you want to slow down and just plant a couple of flowers and trees in your private little garden.

Made in core HTML, no images etc, a pseudo 3d effect is achieved by performing a perspective transform on a bunch of small squares, rendered after a depth sort. The physics run in real time and lighting calculations are done in place. Planes are clipped by the window size and performance is good overall.

Plant trees and roses to slowly unlock new items and change the time of day or weather to fit your mood!

When you're done, don't forget to share your garden with your friends via twitter!

Enjoy!

post-124-0-15605300-1369144790.png

post-124-0-98186100-1369144790.png

post-124-0-63188200-1369144792.png

Images appear broken. You can attach them to your post if you like.

Oh my bad. Fixed!

It looks more like a tech demo indeed, but I really liked the perspective and physics effects. This could probably generate quite interesting games.

Didn't work on Firefox though, all trees are just black.

Yeah I thought so too, haven't given it much thought.

Oh, to view it in firefox for now just go to the controls on the top right and disable lighting, sorry about that!

Thanks!

Thank you guys very much, glad you liked it!

So I've been wondering too, what kind of game could come off this thing, but I always felt it's just too minimal to make sense, and the moment you clutter it with anything but the tiny squares it isn't the same anymore.

What do you think?

maybe combine it with sound/music to act an ambient music generation game - different trees/plantscreate different loops and varying volumes depending on size/distance from each other etc.

or add bees/butterflies/birds that fly among the trees/plants and spread pollen to generate new combinations of vegetation

or add creatures that hunt/live/feed among the trees and depend or the position/height/type of vegetation that you put down

Interesting!

I was actually thinking of an abstract RTS game with resource management and all, but that might not come out well in the given art style.

For doing bees/animals, someone would have to render them so that they are in agreement with the squares and the perspective projection. I couldn't figure this out at all, the old version of the game had circles for people, which didn't look all that great.

If I had more time I'd actually love to work on this further, make something playable.

Did you guys see the lighting modes? How does it perform on your end, did you try it with physics and lighting enabled?