mHTML5 Optimized - Free mobile display engine for GameMaker

PleaseDeleteMyAccount

This is my first post, sorry it's kind of a self-promotion, but my friend (who maybe appears here as YellowAfterLife?) thinks you guys might find it appealing.

Logo_flat_zps9e3c61a8.png

mHTML5 Optimized is a GameMaker: Studio project file that allows you to optimize your html5 games for use on mobile phones and tablets. The engine scales your game to fit the screen of each device, hides the address bar on iOS and forces users to play in the correct orientation. These are all things that are required (or at least helpful) when submitting your game to mobile game portals and sponsors.

There are currently a few engines like this one knocking around, but mHTML5 Optimized has the advantage of being lightweight and easy to implement into your games. It also works correctly on Windows Phone devices and Windows 8 (tablets), which are overlooked by some other engines.

Download (0.9mb)

More Info, including live examples

Enjoy, and let me know of any suggestions.

This is really cool, Dan.  Thanks for sharing it (and for making it free with donations!)

:wub:

I haven't had the chance to read through the code yet, but I did test your live examples on my phone and my desktop.  It worked perfectly in Chrome on an Android 4.2 device.  It was a little less stable on the Samsung stock browser, though.  It handles orientation changes decently the first few times, but after several rotations it starts to perform strangely.  After 10 or so it crashed the browser completely.

It's cool that it works on Windows Phones and Tablets, though.  Those are actually starting to get pretty popular.

I know it's designed for mobile, but it would be nice if it was at least playable on a desktop.  Would it be possible to center the game and scale it to the largest possible size without forcing the player to re-size the browser?  

I might be becoming part of a minority, but desktop support is still really important to me.  If you incorporate that you'll have me sold.  

I'll definitely be following your updates closely, and possibly donate some time soon.   ;)

Thanks for your comments :)

It was a little less stable on the Samsung stock browser, though. It handles orientation changes decently the first few times, but after several rotations it starts to perform strangely. After 10 or so it crashed the browser completely.

Hmmm, that's a shame. Haven't got such a device to test on myself, it worked fine on my android phone though and there is no obvious place for any kind of memory leak in the code as far as I can see... I'll have to see what I can do about it, hopefully I'll figure it out!

I know it's designed for mobile, but it would be nice if it was at least playable on a desktop. Would it be possible to center the game and scale it to the largest possible size without forcing the player to re-size the browser?

I might be becoming part of a minority, but desktop support is still really important to me. If you incorporate that you'll have me sold.

You're not a minority this has annoyed other people too :P Personally I thought it was a nice feature to be able to test the engine works with your game without having to keep deploying to a server and testing on a phone... You could then insert an OS check in the final build before any of the engine's code is triggered. However, it would not center or scale the game. So I will have to work something else into the engine in a future update.

A new version is up that features a variable to enable desktop mode the way you wanted it.

Trouble is that disables windows phone / windows RT support because GameMaker cannot detect windows phone / windows RT from within internet explorer. So you have to choose between desktop support & windows phone support or publish two versions of the same game.

No problem guys, before you start tinkering, here's a new version :P

Build 3 (version ID 20130912-3) is up here.

Changes:

• centering variable added, allows the developer to select whether or not they want the game centered in the browser
  • address bar behaviour updated - iOS devices with long screens now properly supported
  • Documentation fixes
Homepage / Donations here. I received my first donation yesterday, which was awesome :3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...