Critics slam World Wide Web Consortium over inclusion of DRM in HTML5

soybean

I know its considered against the grain to many, but I think DRM would be a good idea for the web in some ways.

In the case of web movies and renting I don't see how anyone can say it's bad.
I would love something like a world-wide Netflix available on all HTML5 systems.

Now, if only they had a W3c payment system someone could build a HTML5 Steam.

I'm a bit confused as to how they'd actually implement it though. I mean most popular browsers are fully open source, right? So you'd have to make the whole part of them that decrypts/manages the DRM either closed source, which seems insane, or give out all the code from day 1.

security is not obtained throught obscurity, all (almost?) encryption algorithms are Open Source, this does not mean that you can decrypt a message knowing the algorithm ...

browsers can implement a layer that allow the transport of encrypted content, and temporary decryption keys ...

of course, it'll be allways possible to crack it or at least to save the stream and redistribute it, but DRMs will give some control to make it hard for common people to bypass the payement.

There is a great discussion on moz bugzilla over here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=923590

The comment that made me change my mind about EME:

"The EME runtime is a proprietary obfuscated blob. You cannot implement this blob open source. It will have to rootkit the machine it lands on because it cannot allow other programs than the approved browser to operate its API.

Linux will not be able to interoperate with EME unless you allow a third party blob onto your machine that rootkits it. Ouya will not be able to operate EME. Firefox OS will not be able to operate EME. Third party browser vendors like Mozilla, Opera and others will be frozen out from EME because it will not allow to be used by those programs."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...