I saw a comment that really saddened me about HTML 5

WombatTurkey

I've lost count of the number of project enquiries I've had over the years specifically because I say we make 'html5 games'. I wouldn't ever remove that from my site / portfolio, it's responsible for a massive amount of traffic (and indeed work).

Semantics be damned, it's what the majority of my clients are searching on google for! But everyone else go ahead and remove it by all means, I'll remain top of the results for longer <evil grin>

I've lost count of the number of project enquiries I've had over the years specifically because I say we make 'html5 games'. I wouldn't ever remove that from my site / portfolio, it's responsible for a massive amount of traffic (and indeed work).

Semantics be damned, it's what the majority of my clients are searching on google for! But everyone else go ahead and remove it by all means, I'll remain top of the results for longer <evil grin>

Hahaa good point. 

For as long as we have the web there will be a need for games for it. This pile has done me well for over two decades*, I'll be surprised if I need to find another pile in my professional lifetime.

(* I just worked out the year I started professionally.. and now I feel old :) )

Not sure I would agree actually... so should we start talking about objective-c games instead of ios games, or java games instead of android games, or even referring to Halo 5 as a much anticipated C++ game? ;) similarly, I would probably not want to use javascript to describe games.

Mentioning V8 JavaScript would be better. Especially if your game / app is using JXcore or Nodejs. With ES6 and ES7, JavaScript is going to be very powerful and I think saying HTML5 encompasses all of that. Hell, I think even mentioning Phaser itself on a resume would be fine.  People underestimate how big Phaser is and what has been done with it, and the power / potential is has.  It's easy to learn, but it's a beast in its own game. I might be a oddball so, maybe it's just me though  :rolleyes:

I doubt anyone was describing their game creation services as "HTML5 games" two decades ago.  Just like they probably won't be in 5 years time.  Whereas "web games" sure.

As a general rule technological terms are niche and fleeting - we much prefer to absorb generic or friendly proprietary terms into our language (i.e. brand names designed for such purposes - e.g. "Flash").  "HTML5" and "HTML5 game" are both terms on the usage decline and sadly I'm not sure "Phaser" will achieve mass-adoption either because CBS owns the trademark (in respect to game related classes and licensing the name is financially challenging for an open source project).  Whatever upward momentum Phaser (the framework) has, it is arguably insignificant compared to the volume either Star Trek or Xerox has for the same term.

Sources:

https://www.google.ca/trends/explore#q=flash%20game%2C%20html5%20game%2C%20html5

https://www.google.ca/trends/explore#q=phaser%2C%20phaser%20game&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B7

Given that there was no HTML5 specification two decades ago, of course not. But I've seen plenty of work described as HTML3, HTML4, etc over the years.

I also don't understand the relationship between Trekkies vs. someone looking for a game framework. Who the hell would sit down at Google and think "I want to make a web game, I know, I'll search for random Star Trek words" ? Aren't they far more likely to search for 'html5 game framework' ? (or WebGL, or Canvas, which are terms that aren't going anywhere no matter what). Just like no-one would is likely to find Unity or Cocos2D (!) or Corona (!!) by just randomly plugging words into a search engine.

Your reasoning is illogical captain.

I've tried to trademark Phaser in the past (for very specific categorisation), but it is blanket owned by CBS, yes, which is making me consider a new name for some point in the future - but it's not an immediate concern, and has absolutely no effect on uptake of the framework, or site traffic, both of which are incredible and growing constantly.

With OpenFL, producing an html5 game is basically identical to producing a flash game in terms of workflow if you were doing it properly (bitmap spritesheets rather than vector movieclips, OOP in flashdevelop rather than timeline code etc.). Haxe is nearly identical in terms of syntax.

The transition is pretty straightfoward for producing an exactly identical game in html5 as you're making the flash version.

And from there, you can use that as a learning point to pick up html5 and do things like add in sponsor APIs, which isn't really all that far away from as3 or Haxe, either.

And that's me speaking as someone who is more of an artist than a programmer.

I have found that the html5 version of a game I've recently made performs much better than the flash version. Full-screen, smooth 60 FPS, it is pretty great. I still have to stick with 30 FPS for flash, and forget about fullscreen.

The only concern I have is that the filesize restriction with html5 sponsors is much stricter than with flash, where 10 mb is a safe upper limit for a good quality game, html5 seems like it tops out at 5 mb currently.

There is a relationship between Trekkies and a game framework named specifically after a Star Trek ray gun and visually themed around ray guns in space.  Positive recognisable associations are useful for brand development, adoption and resultant search engine results.  That is not said to detract from the underlying value of the game framework but to illustrate that popularisation often involves bending an existing term.

The OP is about negative perception of the term "HTML5 games" and all of my posts on this thread are about alternatives.  I mentioned "Phaser" in support of a term that could grow independently of declining terms such as "HTML5", and the reasons that hinder such growth.  My logic is unbiased as I have no agenda or upside for maintaining the term "HTML5 games" or "Phaser".

Sincerely  : Flash > HTML 5 and its not the mobile market that is killed Flash but the same Adobe.   We, with luck, we can do the same that we used to do with Flash 9 (that is years older) using HTML 5.

For example, right now, i can do a flash animation with deformations, while its not possible to do it in HTML5 because there is not a tool to do that.

Also, HTML5 projects are open source and its bad. I know that it is possible to decompile FLASH but not at 100%, while with HTML5, i can take the project of other, assets and practically almost everything, change the author and put my name, repack and sells as a new product.

Plus the fact that Javascript is way way way inferior to ActionScript. 

However, its NOT our call, Flash is dead and the inferior product won the war.

incerely  : Flash > HTML 5 and its not the mobile market that is killed Flash but the same Adobe.   We, with luck, we can do the same that we used to do with Flash 9 (that is years older) using HTML 5.

For example, right now, i can do a flash animation with deformations, while its not possible to do it in HTML5 because there is not a tool to do that.

Also, HTML5 projects are open source and its bad. I know that it is possible to decompile FLASH but not at 100%, while with HTML5, i can take the project of other, assets and practically almost everything, change the author and put my name, repack and sells as a new product.

Actually if you obsfucate JS it's very hard to re-use the code and sell the product as it is your own.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of tools that allow you to do animations with deformations (eg: spine)

Sincerely  : Flash > HTML 5 and its not the mobile market that is killed Flash but the same Adobe.   We, with luck, we can do the same that we used to do with Flash 9 (that is years older) using HTML 5.

Hey, thanks for your input.

Just curious how is Javascript inferior to ActionScript? Like can you give me some real world examples & code? (Not trying to be condescending, just extremely curious because I've never coded in that language :P)

Html5 is growing tools very fast. Have you heard about

- playcanvas

- gamemaker

- constructor 2

Also, you can do the animation in Flash and export it as spritesheet.

This is true. Flash make the acess to assets more dificult. And when you decompiler you got acess to the assets.

The acess to Html5 assets is very easy. Just go in browser Resources. But the javascript code can be uglify. 

I tried once made an Framework to make assets more difficult access using this technique + shuffle seed. But i have to study a bit more the ImageMagik to do so.

ActionScript3 > JavaScript Standard (kinda agree)

JavaScript ES6 > ActionScript3 (way way way) currently avaible using babeljs

CommonJS and Package Manager in action script is possible using this framework that i made called JINX

In Javascript you can use webpack + npm or bower

I currently trying PhaserJS. And i have worked a lot in Flash.

But the only thing in my opinion that matter, is the Market. 

What in the market make more money? Flash? HTML5? Cross-platform?

I don't have this asnwer.