Blaster!

drhayes

Play Blaster here.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-19%20at%209.19.1

Blaster is my super-simple homage to Robotron: 2084 and the first thing I've made that's not a huge work-in-progress or an unpolished prototype. I'm a seasoned developer and been hanging around gamedevs a long time, just never jumped in and put something out there. So here it is! And it's out there.

I'm also writing about how I made the game. I'd love feedback about those tutorials, too!

It's WASD to move, IJKL to shoot. Sorry AZERTY users! Making the keys configurable is the next thing I'm working on.

Keys are now configurable from the options screen!

EDIT: Made a better screenshot. :)

EDIT #2: Keys are now configurable. Don't need mouse to advance past main menu.

EDIT #3: The smarbomb has landed! See if you can get past the dread 13th wave!

Very nice game, simplistic, but very high quality effects.

My only major issue at this moment is the frame rate. I've tried in both Safari and Chrome, and the frame rate seems to be about 25 with some drops spikes even. I don't know if it's just because of phaser, but you should probably look into optimising some of your own systems as well.

framerate seemed ok for me. game is pretty cool!

what I was missing: pause button (maybe esc/pause)

some way to get out of a tight spot (smartbomb? could just shove enemies away, or kill everything within a radius)

you should be able to start the game with the keyboard, seems stupid to require a mouse just for that!

So... any tips on making it NOT laggy with WebGL? It's not especially WebGL-y -- I'm using a shader for the glow effect on the player and the player bullets but that's it.

I'll work on making the keys configurable and removing the mouse button thing at the start. That was the beginnings of an options screen that never happened, hence the button.

EDIT: Am I getting bit by this? http://github.com.proxy.parle.co/photonstorm/phaser/issues/2121