The Commander's Cards - Online Multiplayer Turn-based Strategy

ChAdams

Wow this is awesome! The gameplay was great, the interface was very user friendly and it wasn't difficult to figure out what to do in game. The function for inviting your friend to play is easy. The visuals are reminiscent of a boardgame, which I think is great. I loved trying this out.

The problems I have: the dialog for linking your friends to the game is a bit too big for my screen (1366x768) so I had to ctrl+mousewheel to zoom out. Also the sound for the helicopter! There's no way that is a helicopter sound lol.

Overall great feeling game, might get a friend to play it with me later.

The help page is linked to from the settings menu: https://github.com/chadams77/TheCommandersCards/wiki

- For controls it's right mouse drag or WASD or arrow keys to move the map (check the help for more controls)

- Maps are symmetrical, so your opponent is always somewhere on the other side of the map 

- Cities produce resource, the other buildings (besides walls) allow you to buy new units, walls are just walls (check the help for more information)

- No single player yet, I'm thinking about it though.

havent tried it again, so this is from memory.

maybe consider adding scrolling based on mouse position (close to the edge), as they have in most rtsg?

a minimap might be nice too and would make the positions more obvious. could also be used for navigation.

adding a stupid ai opponent would likely be worth-while, most people won't have a buddy to try the game. I would want to test it first and see if it's fun before dragging in a friend.

Thanks, all good suggestions.

I'll set it up to default to edge scroll and give an option in the settings menu to disable it. AI is a big can of worms, but I'm putting thought into a clean/quick way to implement it. Noticing in my server logs only about 10% of people who start matches actually get to play games, so I agree it's probably a very good feature to add.

I've added a single-player mode with basic AI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51B2J8SRv6k

Added to give newcomers a challenge and a way to learn the game. The algorithm is pretty simple, there's no look ahead. The AI creates a list of possible moves and assigns a fitness to each one, then executes the fittest move or end's his turn if he has no moves left.

Added replays

the spectate link is now both for spectating and replays, gives you access to the other player's replay link once the game is done. during a game you can use the spectate link to review past plays, or in live mode to view what's happening as it happens

Here's a replay link from a game played earlier tonight: http://thecommanderscards.com/watch/fenxy-8f4049f0Xe62aX4147X811cX890a5c736710

iso45.png

• 2 months later...

Figured I revive this post to share the final progress.

I redid the graphics to use WebGL/Three.js, redid the networking to use Socket.io, and made a standalone package will extra functionality to sell on online stores using node+webkit (NW.js)

I really hate marketing, and was having somewhat if a bad/busy time, and didn't end up selling any copies of the game. This turned out to be a good thing, as it allowed me to make the game free and open source without causing any trouble.

Here are some links:

- The video I was using a trailer

A video of a full game in the final version

Github repo for the game

Website where the game is currently hosted/playable on

Hosting for the node+webkit downloadable versions

- Some in-game screenshots from the replay mode:

iso63.png?raw=trueiso62.png?raw=true