Zombies Can't Jump

OkijinGames

Hello everyone,

Here is my game, Zombies Can't Jump a hybrid between shooter and defense. Took me 3 months to develop. It was first released on Windows Phone 8 where it ranked first paid strategy game in China, Italy and reached Top 5 in the US. WP8 has the most polished release since the platform is really HTML5 friendly - highly recommended to fellow HTML5 aficionados! :)

The android release runs on Ludei's CocoonJS while the iOS release uses Intel XDK (AppMobi) with accelerated canvas (if you want a promo code for review just shout).

The immediate goal after releasing my current WIP game is to provide a content update with 5-10 levels and a boss fight and fix these annoying sound issues with mobile web.

Here is the online web demo:

http://okijin.com/web/demos/zcj/

Screenshots:

sc1.png

sc2.png

sc3.png

Wow ... awesome game. Love it a lot. Great visuals, audio and game mechanics. Very good work.

In addition - a true example of how effective HTML5 is when it comes to cross platform compability.

One question - except creating a high quality game - how did you manage to achieve so many app installs on Android yet? Just curious?

Thank you!

Good point - that would be interesting to know indeed? Why not using CocoonJS for iOS , too?

CocoonJS would be perfect if it was not for the splash screen because there is currently no option to remove it (even paid) so I started to look for alternative solutions with the iOS release.

The Intel XDK requires a lot more changes to set-up the code in DirectCanvas but is otherwise a good solution for iOS. On Android, there are some core functions DirectCanvas implementation does not support officially including setTransform so for the game it was not an option on this platform.

@OkijinGames:
Thanks for your answer. Is it a "sponsor"- or just a general thing that you do not like the "ludei"-splash!?

No I just think that an additional splash screen is annoying especially for small games with short sessions length. An attribution in the credits or even on the same screen as the company logo would be more flexible. But at the end the issue is more that (at the moment) you don't have the option to pay on premium account to remove it.

Thanks

I love the feel of the game, I think you really put in a lot of attention into making the game mechanics simple and 

enjoyable and it shows! I also love the graphics its all really phenomenal. How long did a game like this take you to make?

The initial prototype had a lot more buttons on screen as it was also possible to swap weapons during the level play and repair damaged crates. After initial testing feedback, I decided to drastically simplify the mechanics, removed weapons swapping, removed repair and increased the pace at which waves are coming. The game play lost in depth but gained in fluidity so it was not too bad of a trade.

The development took 3 months. I was still working full time for another company during the first 2 months so it could have taken a bit less.

Onother question: why did you choose intel XDK instead of Ejecta?

In fact, directcanvas is a pre-version of Ejecta almost entirely coded by the same developer.

Ejecta is going forward fixing stuff and improving performances constantly where directcanvas didn't get any change since ages.

And yes, thank you for sharing your experience!!

• 1 year later...

post-5497-0-10463800-1441892246.png

Zombies Can't Jump back to TOP 3 US Charts on Windows Phone (source AppAnnie). If you are interested in licensing this game for your network feel free to contact me.

Also, the sequel is expected to be released in the coming weeks, here is the teaser trailer. I will soon post an update on this forum once the demo is online. Stay tuned!