Split screen games - marketable or not?

skiffcz

Well ... yep. Im the 80's kid, and obviously, being 'damaged' in this direction I have a lot of split screen ideas. I know that 2(ish) player games played on one machine are just mighty fun - for the players. There's nothing like it. But the real question here is - are sponsors interested? Are such a games generating clicks, or its just a cruel sad world and from the expected value perspective its better to just clone yet another match 3?

Bad choice of label on my side. By splitscreen on mobile I mean games played on the same device by two players. Like squish a bug, but each player has their own types of bugs. Or finger-twister. Or even simple things like some pong variant. These can be played easily even on 4" multitouch screens. My concern here is that if the biggest chunk of casual gamers are your archetypal kansas moms, it might not be the best way to go.

i believe they'd be marketable in a casual party-game kind of way. you have to think of what kind of social situations people will be in for them to most likely want to play a two-person single-screen game.

lan parties, gaming conventions, adult nerds at a bar, teenagers having friends over..etc. I think you'd be most successful marketing this type of game to people who aren't afraid to ask their friends "Hey here's my ipad, let's play games".

Can you do it? Absolutely. Will it be top 10 in the app store? Probably not. Will it be profitable? depends. Will people have fun playing it? If you do it right then of course they will.

First of all, I like the idea very much.

I heard about a (flash) game portal which specializes on local multiplayer games (cannot remember its name though). So, this could be a potential sponsor for your game. In general I fear, it might be hard to find a sponsor to monetize it. But maybe I am wrong. This is definately a niche - so why not try it out.

In addition - since this is quite a niche - if your game has potential - why not try it out on a native app store? I guess especially on tablets local multiplayer games do work.

Anyway, keep us updated!

Best,

benny!

Not exactly split screen but there are some boardgames ported to ipad that you can play locally ie you play your turn then you pass the ipad to the next player, i also recently stumbled upon this article http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/YannSeznec/20130820/198453/Gentlemen_Or_how_our_most_successful_game_is_also_our_least_profitable.php whivh you may find interesting.

• 3 weeks later...