Construct 2, Most favorable scaling / check orientation?

Maniac

I've been recently working in Construct 2 which has a lot of options for scaling and such. I'm making a pixel-art game at 240x160 (half the typical 480x320 suggested by others) and was wondering what systems have been made for Construct 2 in integrating advertisement, checking orientation, and generally which resizing/scaling is most favored by web portals for selling my games to. I want to get this right the first time, as it seems like something I struggle with a lot. Searching is difficult, and normally turns up helpful, but non-technical information, like the hints of "don't just target one resolution." That's good general information, but now that I'm in the thick of it, I want my games re-sizing, hiding the nav-bar, and adjusting like the best of them.

I've seen options for GameMaker, including the Mobility Engine by TrueValhalla, but as I'm using Construct 2, these aren't exactly compatible. Let me know if I'm out of luck or not!

I appreciate any answer!

I've waited for over 20 days for a reply to this, now with over 240 views. I was hoping someone could please help me out. Does no one actually know what is desired by HTML5 web publishers when it comes to this problem for Construct 2?

Thank you for any reply concerning the matter!

Wow. Be patient man. Some short answer for your questions.(I have to be quick. Sorry)

Resolution:320x480

Scaling: Scale Outer (Dont forget to change or check the Parallax value <- this would highly depend on your games, so just experiment)

Check orientation: Use Browser Object , then check Is Landscape or Is Potrait : (Then show hidden layer for user to Rotate Screen)

One of the popular ad network that I'm using is Leadbolt

Search Scirra forum for Iframe plugin(Pode HTML5 Plugin) to use leadbolt ad network.

For fullscreen, you need to do "On Touch End->Browser ->Request Fullscreen->Scale Outer. But for me it seems not working on all browser. Currently only Chrome on Android.

Extra

Some publisher requires that you seperate text from image so that they can easily localize your game to other region.

So you need to search Scirra forum for "Load JSON plugin" and load all your game text from JSON file.

For api, its either you learn to develop plugins or you can use Browser Object to execute Javascript

Some publisher require you to add Site Lock, for this you need add list of domain for you to sitelock into Dictionary Object, and at start of layout use Browser Object to read the domain and if it is not in the dictionary go to blank layout with "Site Locked" text.

For audio use audacity and make sure that your audio is stereo. And maybe downgrade it to 11kHz or 22kHz

For extra performance disable "Use High DPI display" in project settings.

For scaling(Scale Outer) just decorate the outer layout with some not important stuff like trees or something.

If you go to Scirra forums some really dont like scale outer so you have to experiment on that. For me I design my game using above settings.

Some example you can check though is

http://tumira.byethost7.com/MunchieBob/

I tested on Ipad4 , Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 1.

I didnt set the game to really fullscreen. But I did fill up the screen nicely without black bars.(Hopefully though :) )

Hope this helps.

**Quick question, why you didnt ask this question in Scirra forums ?

Hah, sorry if I seem impatient. 20 Days is a lot of time to wait when you're sitting on a game that could be making mula! I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out for me, and it's super helpful.  :)

To be honest, I should have posted it both places, but totally forgot about the Scirra forums! I might still post there. I definitely wanted to make sure someone responded with experience of actually selling games, which seems a higher likelihood here. I just didn't expect people to take the time to look into the post and not respond, the views ranked up so fast that it was slightly distressing.

Again, I appreciate the help and didn't mean to sound overdemanding. Thank you, Tumira.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a Construct 2 user myself, and actually built a utility in construct 2 using 'scale outer' along with some extra logic to dynamically scale and fill the screen regardless of what size it might be as well as give other information and help with visualizing this kind of thing.

Click the banner to launch it and test it out for yourself.

Ixar07c.png

You can see this exact same logic in place in our upcoming title, Dragonfly Zero

Here's a quick demo of the main menu, you can stretch it any which way on PC, but if you are on mobile and set your device to landscape, it pauses the game and tells you to go back to portrait before continuing. (May not work on all mobile devices, I think I broke something while stripping down the code)

IQLkp9U.png

There is filler on ALL sides of the core gameplay screen, so be sure to stretch the window tall in addition to stretching it wide.

Construct 2 is really versatile.

Here's a basic .capx with the base logic I used for the resolution utility. I stripped out all the other stuff so that you know what to focus on, it's fairly lightweight, but may require a bit of reverse engineering. But it should give you a base to work off of.