Hostile Shapes - Classic Arcade

rpb

Hi, 

I've made a little game in my spare time called hostile shapes. Its my first time using PixiJs, which i now think is awesome. Very easy to learn with lots of helpful docs and examples.

Link
http://www.hostileshapes.com

note: 
Androids will get re-directed to a version in the play store built on Cordova. i had a nightmare with web view performance so had to use crosswalk. 

Hope you Enjoy!
Rob

Screenshot 2018-03-11 19-27-29.png

Screenshot 2018-03-11 19-25-41.png

Screenshot 2018-03-11 19-30-14.png

It's a good game. I like the style alot.
I'd suggest some improvements to the HUD, make the points etc. clearer.. I don't really know what I'm seeing there or meant to be seeing. Maybe a quick tutorial or info on what the icons are..
And perhaps some sort of progression monitor so I know where I'm trying to get or have some targets to hit.

Umz, Thanks for the feedback, i agree about the HUD. I was trying not use any words as I didn't want to translate them, but it isn't clear.

Do you think people would understand:

HS: high score

L: level, I could also show % complete

Hi @rpb,

The vector style graphics are very cool and the animations are very smooth (always at 60fps). 

I found a bug (Chrome Version 65.0.3325.162 (Build oficial) (64 bits)): several times there are "ghost nodes" ;).

screenshot.png.3d89db178631da1777080088421e2c3f.pngscreenshot2.png.f5fe6d5649ff5d7ed712f91e23e69ee8.png

Regarding the lack of information, I agree with @Umz, a small tutorial would help some players to start playing.

On the other hand, the game experience would be improved by eliminating the scrollbars in some way, and of course adding sounds (the game deserves it :)).

Greetings.

Hi onlycape,

I've added high score and level labels. Just releasing now. Will take longer to create a tutorial.

Thanks for the bug info, very helpful. Did the ghosts appear after a window resize? Will look into the scrollbar issue, there shouldn't be any, the game should scale to the available screen size.

I've never added sounds to game before, will give it a try :-)

Thanks

Rob

On 18/03/2018 at 11:04 AM, rpb said:

Umz, Thanks for the feedback, i agree about the HUD. I was trying not use any words as I didn't want to translate them, but it isn't clear.

Do you think people would understand:

HS: high score

L: level, I could also show % complete

With the HUD It's not so much the lack of words. It just doesn't stand out enough, so I'm not associating an action with something on the HUD.
You could use symbols beside the words or HS etc. but it still needs to stand out from the background.

Maybe put it in a box, or make the font bold with a stroke, or place them all together. Just something that really makes it stick out, that way I'll know which action makes which HUD element change, to begin with because it's more noticeable.

Then, it just needs to be clear, what each number represents.
Because I just see 3 numbers, changing at random it seems.

Hi,

I've started working on the ghost issue. It has turned out to be more complicated than i hoped.

b10b,
i've been using cordova V8.0.0

The game runs smoothly on both chrome and firefox on my test devices:  S5, S8 and S2 Tab. But when deployed with the default webview in cordova, the frame rate stayed at 59-60FPS, but there was a slight jitter. I tried using both the pixi ticker and setInterval, but couldn't solve the problem. 
The only solution i found was using the crosswalk webview which isn't being maintained anymore. It also increases the apk file size from 3M to 30M.

I used the following Cordova plugins:

• cordova-plugin-firebase-analytics
  • cordova-plugin-play-games-services
  • cordova-plugin-crosswalk-webview
  • cc.fovea.cordova.purchase

I had issues with the different versions of "com.google.android.gms:play-services-xxx" used by the plugins above. I had to force them all to use version 11.0.+.

I'm looking forward to the app stores implementing support of PWA's, this should simplify the deployment of true web apps.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. Its really helping me improve the game :-)