Is pixi.js dying?

Jacky Tea

Forgive the title - unless a moderator edited it, in which case you don't necessarily have to forgive me ;)

Anyway - having worked with Flash, I've watched Pixi.js for a while. I personally like to think it's the way forward: I like its flexibility and the amount of features it supports. I also tried Phaser.io, but its outdated Pixi library was kind of a deal breaker for me (and what completely killed the project for me was that with v3 they broke compatibility completely, according to their FAQ).

Pixi.js on the other hand seems to try to keep their API intact, which are huge bonus points for me. When I first saw it, I ran into a few bugs, and since v4 was out for a while, I figured I'll just wait a little longer for v5 before committing to it long term. Though, seasons and years passed, and now it's 2018, but the last blog post is still from 2016 - there seems to be no news, at least not from the core developers. The "Blog" link from Pixi.js is outdated (though you can still get to it from Goodboy Digital). There's few committers, and the commits are spaced out quite a bit.

The lack of updates (and that I find very little about the company behind it, and their business model) worries me. I imagine you guys have a much better idea about what state Pixi is in. Are you worried? Are the lack of updates because it's just that stable now, or is it uncertain whether Pixi.js will even be supported longer than Flash? Is Pixi.js v5 just around the corner (I see an alpha tag on Github), or is it so far away that it's pointless to wait?

In production, pixi is thriving , both v3 and v4. There are big projects that are using pixi right now. Softgames are searching for pixi devs, and locally, i know that several russian web development companies have vacansies for pixi devs. I even thought 3d apps with both Pixi and ThreeJS.

As for development, its slow because almost all maintainers are busy. V5 release is almost here, we need just one more big feature that we are working on right now: new batcher for geometries/sprite/meshes, that is generated automatically based on shader input.

V4 with plugins is very powerful: typescript, spine animations, better generated colored meshes, container sorting, 3d projections, normal maps, e.t.c.

As soon as its ready, we'll update all the plugins to v5. v4 will be supported anyway, currently too many projects depend on it. If you dont need specific features from v5, you can start with v4 and upgrade later, it wont be that hard.

https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/commits/next

If you look in community, slack is active enough. Not like in phaser v3 but good too. ( but I dont want to give you an invitation, ask someone else )

=== Personal part

As for bright future, I'm working on a platform that supports PixiJS API, Phaser API , ThreeJS API and Flash API, with support of SWF format.

Hey there! 

Don't worry, we are still doing lots of pixi behind the scenes. Got a bit too busy to blog, but the Pixi is still moving forward and we have no plans to stop :)

V5 has taken a little longer than planned due to our time being a little more limited. Internally we have been using v5 for all our projects over the past year so its in a great spot. We are keen to make sure its ship shape before officially releasing it to the dev branch. We are close and there are a lot of improvements there. Both in performance and flexibility :D

Hi again!

Thank you all for the feedback - this does give me a bit better picture about the state of Pixi.js.

I've seen a lot of your commits (from what I remember your commits even fixed one of the bugs I reported long ago), and I find it comforting to hear that a lot of projects depend on Pixi.js v4 (even though I am personally still wary when one of the top contributors jumps right to the "deal with it" card on my admittedly provocative title).

On 8/2/2018 at 11:09 PM, Mat Groves said:

We are close and there are a lot of improvements there. Both in performance and flexibility :D

Sounds great, but that does sound as if I should rather wait. Or shouldn't I? I'd rather use a framework that's well performing and flexible, instead of a soon-to-be-legacy version (especially since the PR that fixed my above bug was actually rejected for v4). What do you recommend if you can wait a few months? Use v4? Jump on the alpha branch? Or wait?

Oh and .. since you're the Pixi.js owner, forgive me for asking - but Pixi.js is a very powerful graphics framework, so what's in it for you?

especially since the PR that fixed my above bug was actually rejected for v4
Yep, my bad, I've made it too big, it didnt fit, I'll make one better for v5.

jumps right to the
I'm not a native speaker, I haz learn english in internets, dont mind me.

> what's in it for you?
I want to answer that too :) Pixi is a library. There are many frameworks based on it, most of them are not public. Library is much easier to maintain, and when certain genius of renderer architecture writes one line of code, he gets one 10 lines from contributors for things that he doesnt think about, like that `extract` plugin, or new spritesheet parsing algorithm.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2018 at 5:31 PM, Jacky Tea said:

what's in it for you?

Good question! Theres lots of reasons!

1 - I genuinely feel happy when I see something we created help other people to create.

2 - I find it super challenging, constantly trying to be render things faster, whilst hiding away complexity from users (not everyone wants /needs to know webGL).  can be frustrating, but ultimately makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside when you figure out a new way to do something thats faster and easy to use.

3 - I get a serious education in how the team manage communities, and how to work with other devs.

4 - Team is cool smart bunch o'people. I like interacting with them :)

5 - Its helps our agency from a business perspective through increased exposure.

6 - Its ultimately helped me become a better dev.

7 - We would have build something like pixi internally anyway as it helps us make what we need more effectively, we just went a step further and shared the code :)

No plans on stopping anytime soon!