Discoverability & Monetization

Noel

• 3 months later...

We were awarded with the grant from the Grant for the Web program to explore Web Monetization in games. As part of that we will be building Web Monetized games, writing documentation on the process, hosting Web Monetization category in js13kGames 2020 competition, conducting Gamedev.js Survey, and writing Phaser ebook.

Happy to discuss ideas and share experiences with anyone's interested!

Like @end3r we (the Defold Foundation) were also awarded a grant from Grant for the Web to explore the use of Web Monetization in games. The Defold Foundation will use the grant to integrate, promote and support the use of Web Monetization in web games created using Defold. The Defold Foundation will integrate Web Monetization through its plugin system, promote it through examples and tutorials and host a game jam focused on Web Monetization.

We have a first version the engine and editor integration ready for testing (more info). Next up is to create the sample game and start planning for the game jam.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Related to discoverability, I note a recent proposal for a Web Install API that would allow a website to request the installation of another website, enabling the creation of web application stores with "Install" buttons. The proposal was the topic of a breakout session during W3C TPAC end of October. The video of the presentation is available.

That proposal is not targeted at games per se, but it may be worth reviewing the proposal in the context of games.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, tidoust said:

Related to discoverability, I note a recent proposal for a Web Install API that would allow a website to request the installation of another website, enabling the creation of web application stores with "Install" buttons. The proposal was the topic of a breakout session during W3C TPAC end of October. The video of the presentation is available.

That proposal is not targeted at games per se, but it may be worth reviewing the proposal in the context of games.

I am wondering what other members are thinking about that. @end3r, @britzl?

I for one think this is highly relevant for games and web game portals. From a games perspective they are given a way to store/install games and have immediate access to them. From a web game portal's perspective I'm thinking there might be concern that they lose players if allowing players to install a game and launch it outside of the portal.

20 hours ago, britzl said:

I for one think this is highly relevant for games and web game portals. From a games perspective they are given a way to store/install games and have immediate access to them. From a web game portal's perspective I'm thinking there might be concern that they lose players if allowing players to install a game and launch it outside of the portal.

Then maybe we could suggest a solution for that issue. What if the installation was somehow conditioned by the presence of the SDK of that particular portal?

• 2 months later...

Real problem i face in web games distribution and monetization, is websites has no reason to add games where developer have added his own ads shows, and developer has no reason to publish his game without ads. For now each website  ask to add his own ads api with his own payment sharings. For developer it is no way to integrate hundretds of ads APIs and have his money splitted across a many web site owners. What web games need, is one way to show ads. and share revenye between dev and publishers. as example each game have standard interface to show ads. and show it. google splits revenye 90% to developer ID and 10% to website owner where game launched. So websites will add games which  have implemented this schema and will have revenue without do anything with the game or ask developer to add ads in the game.

12 hours ago, Megabyte said:

Real problem i face in web games distribution and monetization, is websites has no reason to add games where developer have added his own ads shows, and developer has no reason to publish his game without ads. For now each website  ask to add his own ads api with his own payment sharings. For developer it is no way to integrate hundretds of ads APIs and have his money splitted across a many web site owners. What web games need, is one way to show ads. and share revenye between dev and publishers. as example each game have standard interface to show ads. and show it. google splits revenye 90% to developer ID and 10% to website owner where game launched. So websites will add games which  have implemented this schema and will have revenue without do anything with the game or ask developer to add ads in the game.

That's a great point, thanks for sharing your idea with the community.

another idea, is developer sets sharing % in the game id settings in ads api dashboard, and this info should be visible to publishers in some way (dev tools console or chrome extension), so it will be self regulated market (bidding mechanism). Hi quolity games can have higher dev percent, in another hand, lower quolity games will have all the chances to distribution via lower dev share. So any level developers could star and grow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 6:36 AM, Megabyte said:

websites has no reason to add games where developer have added his own ads shows, and developer has no reason to publish his game without ads.

One general strategy is to have a link in game leading out to a walkthrough or hints/cheats page. Most portals allow such, and i think google is ok with it too, since there would be two distinct urls. You can definitely have a link out to a youtube video, and ads in that video. There is no guarantee that your link will get clicked, but if your game is made just right, for example an rpg needing the walkthrough, it'll get clicked. If the link is needed enough it does not even have to be clickable, gamers would even type it into a new tab, if it was cleverly needed just right.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:04 AM, TadMakesGames said:

One general strategy is to have a link in game leading out to a walkthrough or hints/cheats page. Most portals allow such, and i think google is ok with it too, since there would be two distinct urls. You can definitely have a link out to a youtube video, and ads in that video. There is no guarantee that your link will get clicked, but if your game is made just right, for example an rpg needing the walkthrough, it'll get clicked. If the link is needed enough it does not even have to be clickable, gamers would even type it into a new tab, if it was cleverly needed just right.

I like this creative and indirect strategy.  Unlike in-game-ads it adds value to the play experience rather than interfering with it - while also creating additional discovery channels.  It plays to one of the web's strengths - i.e. it's a good thing to explore outside the walled-garden rather than bounce around within it.

Perhaps an extension is to provide standardised tools within games that allow players (or AI) to create such supporting content more easily (or automatically)?  Commerically I can imagine multi-level commission systems built on the back of such tools that yield returns for content-creator, developer, publisher, ad-network, advertiser etc.