[Phaser] Gravity Kills

rantt

Hey guys, this is my second game.  It's a platformer that plays with gravity and sharp objects.  Controls are pretty simple left and right move you those directions and up and down switch gravity in those directions, or you can use WASD.

gravity_kills.png

You can play it at http://divideby5.com/games/gravity_kills/index.html

The source is also available at https://github.com/rantt/gravity_kills

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

Actually a few people mentioned it being too hard, so I took it down a notch and took out a couple levels, so it's 6 levels instead of 8 to beat the game.  It's suppose to be a short game so I think that should help.

@turnA Yeah, level 4 was another level I had to adjust.  Grabbing power cells while flipping between spikes might have been too much, so I took them out.  

I find it hard to gauge the difficulty, probably because I end up playing the game a lot so I know all the tricks to it.  

Hopefully I'll get better at that with more experience making games.  But I really appreciate your guys feedback :) I think its helping me improve.

@RavalMatic - I'd like to put controls in for a mobile version, tbh I don't know much about HTML5 games on mobile devices.  I think I might give it a try though, I'll make sure to update my post when I get it working.

@Luis Felipe - Lol, I'm glad someone tried that level.  It was one of the first levels I designed but it was way over the top for a casual game.  You're right about the air walking it totally doesn't make sense I never noticed until you pointed it out.

thanks guys :)

Made some changes based on feed back, like stopping running while in the air.  I also added touch controls for mobile devices, but I need to optimize my tilemaps there's a lot of lag and it's causing some collision issues with the player falling through the walls/floors.  

@rustem - thanks :) I'm glad you liked it

• 3 weeks later...

I was working on my next game when I finally figured out what was causing all the lag in this game.  Switched my fonts over to bitmap fonts and now it doesn't lag over time.  Funny how you figure stuff out when you're not thinking about it... Anyway, just so that wasn't the only change I added in a couple levels after the  'U WIN' page.

I just got slightly addicted to this game...

Really well done! I wasn't expecting the hidden levels after the 'U WIN' screen, that was a nice surprise, but I couldn't get past the 'Seriously, good luck' level, I nearly ended up punching my screen.

I love the animations and the particles, very nice touch.

Keep it up! :)

thanks for the feedback :)  I'm glad that people actually saw that levels after 'U WIN'.

@postepenno - congratulations, you're the first person I've heard of who beat all the levels ...lol  .  The mobile controls are a wip, I might just rip it out and put in a touch control from a library instead of rolling my own.  Someone else had mentioned VVVVVV, I had actually based my game on the bubble man level of megaman 2 with the reduced gravity and spikeballs.  I accidentally reversed the gravity instead of reducing it and flew into the spikes, which was hilarious at the time so I just kind of built on that.  Anyway, I still haven't played VVVVVV but I saw it on youtube and it looks awesome.  I tried to get it on iOS but they didn't have it which led me to 'Super Hexagon', omg I can't put that down...lol

I really like your game. The feel of simplicity and difficulty is great and I couldn't give up until I cleared all the levels without dying, which I now have proof of: 

I wish you would make more levels and perhaps expand the game with more challenges.