Screen size, and Samsung's awful Canvas rendering

tyson

Hi all,   I've purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 - 7 for Android testing.

While it's a decent tablet for apps, it's just perfectly terrible for rendering HTML5 games.

All games on the BoosterMedia network seem to either be **just** barely playable,  or not playable at all.

After trying to fix this with my own games and dropping the resolution to 240x160 (but scaled),  they're much more playable but look slightly worse.

Any downsides to this solution apart from the obvious lower quality?  I feel a playable game would trump a better looking one.

Cheers

--Tys

Tyson - I'm surprised html5 games are running that bad, what version of Android do you have on it and which browser?

I have a tab 2 with android 4.1.1 and generally games run pretty well in chrome and firefox.  The stock browser and dolphin have the touch-freeze issue that makes games pretty much unplayable - but seem smooth in terms of frame rate otherwise

I've got an S3, and everything runs perfectly, sometimes even better than on my laptop.

And Firefox looks faster, or at least smoother.

Did you try to update the system?

My android is 4.1.1 games runs fine except in firefox.

Game is slow in firefox. It might be problem with my firefox bec none of my sponsors complained about game runing slow on firefox

Updated to Jellybean, and the difference is like night and day!

ICS definitely has stinkingly awful support for Canvas. 

Might try to detect ICS on my game to drop down to 240x160 to support those poor people running it.

--Tys

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The stock browser and dolphin have the touch-freeze issue that makes games pretty much unplayable - but seem smooth in terms of frame rate otherwise

I found this setting in Dolphin. Not sure if you were referring to the long press menu that pops up.

But you can disable it in Settings > Lab

lab.png