What to charge for a graphics update?

-AAG-

Since my games have been rejected more than once because they don't look good enough I decided to learn vector art with InkScape. I started with my simplest game, Find It!.

Before:

findit%20pic.png

After:

find%20it.png

And the game itself before and after. If you are on a large screen please reduce your browser window for a better experience.

I would like to get back to some of the sponsors that have bought the old game and offer them this graphical update. Is this something I should charge for? If so, how much? 

I understand. I've been rejected for other reasons, graphics are just the top one. For example, I just got back to Yepi who rejected all of my games because they were "low quality". I showed them this and they offered me a 50/50 rev share. Now I just don't know how to implement their ads but I will figure it out.

Any tips on how much to charge for the update to someone that already bought a license for the previous version?

Great re-skin! 

Please keep in mind I have never done this, but I expect you could negotiate with the sponsors on this. If I were going to do it, I would probably take the price I would expect from the new version and subtract it from the old price. It might only come to $100-$200, though. If I were in your shoes I would definitely give it a try. Just email the sponsors and ask them what they'd be willing to pay for an update. I'm sure they'd be enticed by the improvements.

dont know what i would charge but i would count how many hours i spend for the graphics and what i think the publishers can pay, also if the game is on many portals i would slightly lower the price cause of the quantity :)

EDIT: Ryguy got a good point but you should consider to not take the first offer they give or ask a couple of sponsors to get an idea of what its worth

• 2 weeks later...

Another game updated, Boxed. Not just a graphics update but also more levels and a level select system. There seems to be a little delay from when you touch to start and the game actually starting for some reason. I think is no big deal but will try to fix it.

Before:

Boxed%20old.png

After:

boxed%20new.png

Try the new version here:

and the old version here:

Reduce the size of your browser if you are on a large screen for a better experience.

AAG how are you improving so fast? lol  Do you have much art experience? How much time did you spend a day practicing?

And Rich. Did you just draw  artwork as you needed it and saw a gradual improvement, or did you set out to practice each day?

I recently posted a game called cannonball cup in the showcase. I spent ages on the artwork. I mean it took me almost a week to draw the level select scene. I'm not sure how good or bad the graphics are anymore, as I've lost all perspective. I'm definitely improving, but as I have no natural abilty what so ever. It's like someone tone deaf learning the piano! I don't want to hijack your thread but I would love to know how far off the graphics are in my game to being good enough.

It's just weird. But I'll keep looking.

AAG how are you improving so fast? lol  Do you have much art experience? How much time did you spend a day practicing?

I like making art better than making games. I have used a wide variety of tools for some years now and they all have a lot in common. For example, manipulating this vector graphics by nods is like manipulating flat 3d meshes in Blender by vertexes (is that a word?). It has also helped that I am only building on top of something that is already made so I don't have to come up with anything but just improve what is already there. As for time invested, on this past 2-3 weeks I would say about 8 hours a day. But I'm doing art, programming, testing, debugging, contacting sponsors, and a few other things all in the same time frame. I believe the fact that I'm using GameMaker and have been using it since 2005 helps a lot too.

You know, I really hadn't thought about it until now.

Vertices, yes, thank you.

And thank you guys for the encouraging feed back.

@99golems - Sponsors have no sense of style at all  :lol:

Rich - It needed fixing and I just finished fixing it right now. Thanks.