Any HTML5 games on Steam?

Neeko

I've asked this on Reddit but didn't get any concrete answers, so I figured this would be a good place to ask too!

Are there any HTML5 games on the Steam store, perhaps via https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit or some other wrapper framework? I don't see any technical limitation as to why it couldn't happen, except for integrating the Steam API but I'm not familiar with it.

If you wrap your HTML5 game with node-webkit, then it's just like any other executable and is a subject to the same piracy issues as any other game. HTML5 games served from a server are a subject to the exact same "you can get this game for free, but it would be neat if you paid us" policy. Most indie games these days don't include any DRM anyway, if somebody wants your game for free, they can get it without any problems, doesn't matter what language or platform you're using.

The reason why most browser games are F2P is because they fit into the ideology. Browser games are an instantaneous experience available to anybody and this plays perfectly into the F2P model. This doesn't mean that you can't make regular games with HTML5, especially with solutions like node-webkit available that completely remove the biggest problem of HTML5 games, which is inconsistency.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost Decade Games are hoping to get Crypt Run on Steam as I understand it. They just hit their Kickstarter funding goals so follow their podcast and I'm sure they'll share info as they go.

I used MDM Zinc many times when I was a Flash developer to wrap my Flash files into desktop EXEs (with extended features). Their Xenon product works with HTML5, allowing you to create executables for Windows and Mac. Zinc was Steam compatible, so possibly Xenon is?  I haven't tried it yet, though.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...