Exit Isol8

charlie_says

Thanks @PhasedEvolution, this isn't actually made with Phaser, it's made in Haxe (openFL) targeting HTML5, so I didn't use @lewster32's iso plugin, I actually wrote my own. I can tell you, as I made a fairly advanced demo using his iso plugin, that it's well written and easy to use :).

@PixelPicoSean - thanks for having a play :) (As mentioned, I can't really claim responsibility for the art, that was almost entirely @0Hayes)

@charlie_says Ah ok. Well I am using his plugin in an attempt to make an isometric game but I think some things are missing but it is of course well written. This might sound like a vague question but is it "hard" to make your own isometric plugin?  I am not of a much experienced programmer but I am starting to realize more more that I should make my own isometric plugin like you did since I could add all the features according to my needs.

@PhasedEvolution in short, making your own iso engine is not to be recommended. I almost quit building isol8 a number of times because some new functionality broke my iso-engine.

The main the issue is depth sorting the "cells". @lewster32's approach is sound (in fact recommended) but it means checking every cell against every other cell which in a large scene may mean lots of checks, which could mean low fps... I had a couple of issues with the iso-plugin, which I did manage to resolve. I'm sure if you post your query someone will have an answer :)

Hi Phased. Been a while. My advice would be, forget about the plugin, even though it is good. Writing your own projection, depth sorting, and collision code gives you much more freedom. You can use your own tweening code, or even use a 3D collision option like Bullet.
There is nothing hard about projecting to ISO, and then a depth-sort with such big blocks is actually quite easy...

I'd have to agree with Milton - the isometric plug-in I wrote is a good starting point, but iso is a style where often you need very specific functionality and optimisations. If you're deeply committed to creating a highly optimised isometric game in Phaser, I'd probably look at the many tutorials online; the fundamentals are pretty simple.