Best ways to spread a game for self-promoting?

Bolko

Hey guys,

which distribution channels would you recommend for somebody who wants to concentrate on building up a portal for HTML and other games (flash etc).

I´d like to distribute my games with a "play more" button that leads to my site and also with  ads to create revenue for gameplays on other sites.

I also would sell non-exclusive licenses, maybe with links removed, but not without my own logo, so people can still find my site on google.

So ...

- where to upload my game so it spreads via a game feed or something similar?

- which big portals accept games with outgoing links (and maybe ads)?

- which ads to use to get good revenue?

- where to sell non-exclusive licenses (if possible with outgoing links to my site)?

- any more advice?

thx

Well if you're looking for publicity here's a hand list of high traffic portals I found: http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2009/12/23/35-game-portals-that-can-give-your-game-at-least-100k-views/

As far as I'm aware most portals don't mind outgoing links, especially if it's a "more games" kind of button as opposed to a 3 second splash screen advertising another portal. Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, some more HTML5-related sites would be fine though.

And maybe someone would like to share their experience in how to spread html5 games?

It worked quite good with flash games via the mochi game feed.

Can this be compared to html5 game feeds?

Which feeds and/or networks are good in terms of distribution?

What does it give? Revenue from in game ads?

Yep, and revenue from ads on your own gaming site, that gets promoted with play more links in your game.

Bear in mind that regarding HTML 5 games you will find a huge resistance from arcade owners in case you provide just a code to embed the game.

Yes, but you can package your game, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bolko,

As we are running an arcade script we are connected to HTML5 game distributors. So we can recommend you some really great HTML5 game feeds such as Clay.ioPlaydotGamePixSpil Games, Softgames, TreSensa, FGL. We think game submission with clay.io is easy, you can register and submit your game on their legacy site. Plus Playdot works the same way. So it might similar to the Mochi times somehow. The other distributors are great as well but you need to contact them to submit or sell your game. You can also find a useful list here.

You can sell non-exclusive licences on forums like TalkArcades. The community will appreciate that you are selling the packages of your games not just a site-lock. Also you can sell licenses on MarketJs. You can sell licenses on clay.io too.

Hope you will find these information useful! Feel free to ask if you have some questions about our experience with these game distributors!

I sold a unity webplayer game a year or 2 ago after finding a publisher on TalkArcades, I would recommend it but, I'm not to sure about html5 games, I'll try giving it a shot. Have you personally had any luck with selling html5 games here?

FGL is also another recommended site to find publishers, especially for non-exclusives although, the html5 section is getting a little be saturated. If your game is high quality or unique enough you should have no troubles finding a sponsor on the site. I have personally had some luck with FGL even though my games aren't the best quality, and their community is quite friendly so it's worth checking out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I sold a unity webplayer game a year or 2 ago after finding a publisher on TalkArcades, I would recommend it but, I'm not to sure about html5 games, I'll try giving it a shot. Have you personally had any luck with selling html5 games here?

FGL is also another recommended site to find publishers, especially for non-exclusives although, the html5 section is getting a little be saturated. If your game is high quality or unique enough you should have no troubles finding a sponsor on the site. I have personally had some luck with FGL even though my games aren't the best quality, and their community is quite friendly so it's worth checking out. 

I recently discovered FGL and was planning on possibly heading in that direction. Any tips or things worth thinking about before diving in?

• 2 months later...

Ah, thanks for clarification! The whole post, together with their earnings report for Q4 2014, was in quite a dark tone regarding to HTML5 so I thought they were about to cancel HTML5 submissions completely.