[WIP][TechDemo][Phaser] Topdown 2d multiplayer shooter

CtlAltDel

layers.png

I would like to show you my topdown 2d multiplayer shooter. It currently uses a pretty basic placeholder map, I just suck at graphics :) So consider this a WIP TechDemo.

I used Phaser as the engine, Primus for the socket layer, Node as a server. Behind the scenes this does entity interpolation and prediction to give a smooth ride and good experience and to keep things exciting a visibility polygon will give you the ability to hide behind cover so your enemy can't see you. But they can hear you due to positional audio if you fire your gun.

Controls:

Mouselook - It will ask for a lock on your  mouse, accept it and you can control the direction of your character like you would in a FPS shooter. It might be twitchy, I like minimal mouse movement, sorry.

WASD/Arrows - move and strafe

Left mouse - shoot to kill

TAB - show score (weird numbered name means someone connected, but still in character selection or name entry)

Click below to play:

http://stark-caverns-8384.herokuapp.com/

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

I was prototyping something in the same league a few months ago, but those "shadows of obscurity" proved to be horrible solution to the problem of enemy visibility, so I scrapped poor thing altogether. These stencil shadows will never look right no matter how much you integrate them with art direction. Nice multiplayer exercise though  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...