Rival Rush - Race Game

Goblet Ed

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Goblet Ed said:

Thanks.

Is that because you have trouble controlling the car? 

I personally think that the controlling of the car should be relative to the car, like when the y is bigger than car.y then the car turns right etc. right now it is if y is bigger than the center. Don't know about others but I find this quite disturbing, other than that it is quite cool game.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Igor Georgiev said:

The game is really fun, it runs perfectly and I really like the scaling and the orientation changing. Can you teach us how to do it (the scaling that is)? :D 

We've developed a custom GUI editor that works somewhat similar in concept as how Unity3D handles the UI with anchor points. I did not write the code so I can only give you a rough idea. I am just a humble artist. ^_^

2 hours ago, Goblet Ed said:

We've developed a custom GUI editor that works somewhat similar in concept as how Unity3D handles the UI with anchor points. I did not write the code so I can only give you a rough idea. I am just a humble artist. ^_^

Ah, right :) Well thank you anyway :) 

Beautiful game. Really love the look and the fact that it is has different orientation support. Very detail oriented work too; I loved the little spark effect when I was rubbing up against the rails.
The length of a session is also good. Not too short, not too long if I happen to bump someone right at the end, start cursing, and restart the level to get all three stars. :D

I didn't have any problems with the controls myself. The left/right of center controls make sense for mobile, I think. I will agree with @TickleMeElmo that it seemed odd that it was based on the center and not the car position, but that was only when playing on my PC. I didn't realize that I could use the keyboard at first on the PC, so maybe separate tutorial graphics for a non-mobile environment would help?
I don't think I would have had a problem playing on mobile, but as I think about it, I can imagine some players trying to play with their index finger instead of both their thumbs. If they were trying to guide the car towards their finger, they may have some confusion.

Have you considered switching the introduction of different colored cars? I would have normally expected to see the blue cars introduced in the first level, followed by the silver in the second, then the green after that, as that is the difficulty I would consider them to be. After learning to deal with the green cars which were specifically out to get me, the blue cars were not very threatening in the second level.

2 hours ago, lumoludo said:

I didn't realize that I could use the keyboard at first on the PC, so maybe separate tutorial graphics for a non-mobile environment would help?
I don't think I would have had a problem playing on mobile, but as I think about it, I can imagine some players trying to play with their index finger instead of both their thumbs. If they were trying to guide the car towards their finger, they may have some confusion.

Yes, I had the exact same suggestion from somebody else and it makes sense. Will ask our programmer and/or will remember this for a sequel.

2 hours ago, lumoludo said:

Have you considered switching the introduction of different colored cars? I would have normally expected to see the blue cars introduced in the first level, followed by the silver in the second, then the green after that, as that is the difficulty I would consider them to be. After learning to deal with the green cars which were specifically out to get me, the blue cars were not very threatening in the second level.

The reason why I introduced the green cars first was because they are most predictable. The blue cars react randomly and I thought it would be best to introduce them when the player knew that cars could move. Most of the difficulty comes from the way the cars are positioned instead of the type of car. You are right though, it would also make sense to have a linear progression in the car behavior but I intentionally went to a different approach because I thought it would be more natural to go with the predictable green cars first.