Molecule - New HTML5 Game Framework

fjsantosb

Hi There!

After a lot of time reading this forums full of interesting topics regarding one of my passions (HTML5 Game Development), I think that is time to introduce me and my work (which I have spent last six month in my spare time), so I can give something in return.

But first, let me introduce myself; My name is Francisco Santos and I currently work Full-Time as a Mobile Tech Lead on an important Mobile Development Company on Spain.

On my spare time I like to work with HTML5 Games, so six month ago, I decided to create my own html5 game framework from scratch without rely in any other library to create games in a fast and efficient way.

The result of all this, is Molecule Framework, a simple yet powerful framework which lets you to create great games.

Some of the current features of the frame work are:

• Cross-Platform
  • Tiled-Map Support
  • Physics Support
  • Sprite Sheet Management
  • Animation Management
  • Audio Management

You can take a look of the rest of features at www.moleculejs.net

Consider Molecule, not as a static framework but a dynamic framework that it will continue evolving along with the evolution of html5 specifications.

I hope I can share my experience / knowledge both of the framework as my Job with all of you.

Thanks for reading.

Regards, fjsantos.

Nice looking site. I'm curious why the project only offers a minified js file? Not even a github repo? I honestly think you're cutting yourself off from lots of potential help / bug reports a community may be willing to offer. As there is no API documentation provided all anyone could ever learn would be from the 21 small examples provided, unless they wanted to unminify the source and start digging. Seems a bit of an ask to me!

Hi rich,

Thanks so much very much for your kind words!

I am totally agree with you and of course I will offer a complete github repo in a few days (currently, I am cleaning up the code in order to upload).

Btw, I am a follower of your great blog (photonstorm), from long time ago, so it's really a pleasure for me to meet you finally :).

Regards.

Looks great! I spent 10 mins looking for the github link. :) Also, you should probably have at least one "complete" game there even just as an example - so that folks get the idea that this is a complete game framework, not still a completely work in progress. The examples are great, but feel like they only scratch the surface. Also, you say the framework is lightweight, but don't list a k number for the js...

Keep going!

Hi triptych,

Thanks so much for your words!

I have just link the github repository on the website (download page), so people can download the source code finally :).

Examples will be added as soon as possible (the idea is to add a few examples weekly); there are a lot of examples to come (load tiled map, physics between sprites and maps, scrolling, layered maps, parallax scrolling, etc...).

I think that it's a great idea to work on a few basic yet complete game examples, so folks can get the idea of the framework as you mentioned (I will try to work on it along with the rest of examples).

Although Molecule is a robust framework by now, I will continue work on it to polish and optimize.

Regarding size, actually Molecule minified version is under 45k (44.9k). I didn't mentioned on the website, caused his weight will vary (increasing when adding new functionalities, and decreasing when optimizing).

I really appreciate your advices to both of you!

Thanks!

Regards.

You need to add some things to your repo:

Contributing.md , Readme.md and a LICENSE file. Look at a similar repo like pixi.js for inspiration.

https://github.com/GoodBoyDigital/pixi.js

You cannot expect folks to fork/check out your code without knowing what the license is.

Also, in the contact us section, you should link to the Issues page of your repo, for folks to file issues/fixes etc https://github.com/fjsantosb/Molecule/issues

Also,  you should consider adding your real name to your github account. Right now it seems you are some anonymous random github username...

Hi Triptych,

Good point there! I am working on the recommend files to add to Molecule Repo (thanks for pointing to pixijs for inspiration); regarding license, Molecule is under MIT license.

Great advice to link to the issues page on the 'contact us' section, already added!

Yep, the github account is filled with my profile now (no more random github username).

I really appreciate all your recommendations!

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,

• 5 months later...

Hello fjsantosb

I just ran across this post looking for a better example of all the features of your framework - moleculejs-.

I was just wondering if you are going to make a full documentation of the entire framework, say like jQuery, which maps out the entire framework.  I am getting a bit confused how to use each capability based on the project version of the documentation.

Just wondering

P.S.: so far I have enjoyed using it to create games using tile maps.