[WIP] Nimian Legends - Bite-size HTML5 RPG

Protopop

impressive !

Merci Jérôme! (je vie au Québec:)

What an incredibly beautiful game Protopop! I was going to post my WIP until I saw yours, but I might just hold off a few extra days :P Are you the sole developer?

You mean the MMO Turn Based Strategy in WordPress? Put it up, it sounds awesome:) The really great thing about people here is you are all so creative and following your passion.

I'm the sole developer but there's some stock art and music in there too. It's going to connect to my Nimian Battles games - 3d battle apps set in the world:) And im starting to get some very helpful critical feedback from player which will let me make inprovements. Part of the reason i worked in HTML5 is because it's relatively easy to make changes.

I'm interested to see your wordpress MMO - keep me posted, and thank you for the compliment:)

tried you game again this morning

still époustouflé

You remind me Alexandre Astier, a french writer, director, editor and composer, who made alone a very successful TV serie for years (Kaamelott)

So much quality in so many domains (coding, gameplay, music, graphic, originality) originated from only one person !

Really really great.

Thanks Michael - that's what I love to hear:) I hope that the game gives a few people a few minutes of escape. Games and rpgs used to do that for me when i was younger and going through difficult times.

Leaflet is a blessing. When i first started this game it wasn't available (or at least i hadnt heard about it) and i was trying to code this world map myself. I had to stop and then a year or so in leaflet popped up and really made creating an interactive map of this size feasible.

Well that's cool, keep up the good work - this inspires me also to start making a bigger project.

Glad to hear that Maunovaha:) I think every piece of art inspires another artist. Ive been inspired by many games, paintings and artworks to create Nimian Legends. A piece of advice about making bigger projects, I say do it, but if you find something overwhelming, trim it back a bit. The original game had more bells and whistles, until i realized that i wouldnt be able to finish it - so i looked it over and decided to simplify things. It's still big but i made it more maneagable for me, and i think its better for all the things I took out as well as what i put in:)

What a beautiful graphics!

Thanks: Kvazar) It's a mix of purchased art and my own. So i created the map, monsters, cards, clan symbols etc./ But i used stock art for most of the icons. I hesitate to even call it stock art because some of what i bought is soo beautiful. My favorite is by Bitgem (http://shop.bitgem3d.com/) - things like the dungeon doors. His work has this handpainted quality that i really love.

You know, when i started i was creating everything, building 3d models etc and i realized - I can't do this on my own. So by working with stock art and music, and by developing a strong art direction document up front, I was able to actually have the time to put something together. When/if i can afford it, i would definitley hire people to work with to create something even better. But for the meantime, suplementing our work with stock art is kind of like working with other people to create something no one person can really make alone.

Very nice work, Protopop.  While I haven't had a chance to play very far into the game yet, it definitely gives a great first impression.  I particularly like the audiovisual feedback the interface gives you.

I did notice one really minor mistake during character creation.  The Kyndi are described as "the few remaining ancestors of these originals"; I think you might have meant "descendants" instead of "ancestors".

I did notice one really minor mistake during character creation.  The Kyndi are described as "the few remaining ancestors of these originals"; I think you might have meant "descendants" instead of "ancestors".

Thanks Enigmatist for catching that:) I've changed it locally and will upload it with the next update. You know I hate to say i probably wouldnt have even caught that so im glad you did- all the words, characters, world start to blend together after a few months immersed in it;) If you have any other comments please dont hesitate to share them.

I used lowlag.js for the sound and it works amazing. Buttons and sounds are super responsive and you can easily play multiple sounds at the same time with great responsiveness. The only thing is on iPad sometimes on first load the pitch is off so the sound effects play super sloooooow like when Keanu Reeves mouth turns inside out after swallowing that pill in the Matrix - im looking into it:) But in general i find adding sound is underated - it really makes a big difference to a game.

• 1 month later...

Update: http://nimianlegends.com I've added iPhone support to Nimian Legends. technically it worked on iPhone before but it needed some specific iPhone only touches to make everything fit on the small screen.

Stephen Gilbert's IOS media queries were a great help: http://stephen.io/mediaqueries/

This Stackoverflow post also has a very handy javascript snippet for detecting iPads, iPhones and iPods: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4617638/detect-ipad-users-using-jquery

Here's some screenshots. I hope you will give it a try:)

post-3902-0-78554400-1394406060_thumb.jppost-3902-0-41728000-1394406063_thumb.jppost-3902-0-89013400-1394406065_thumb.jppost-3902-0-77125600-1394406070_thumb.jppost-3902-0-48812700-1394406075_thumb.jp

Wow, the quality of this game is amazing. Great job!

The character models look strange, but not in a bad way.

Good luck with the future effort in this!

Thanks Jhelle:) That's a cool name - maybe I could use it in the game sometime? Only if you approve.

I totally take the 'strange' characters as a compliment:) Im a big fan of Fable's "no straight lines" policy and early character designs. i like the idea of a world that is not sanitized but slightly skewed and off kilter. I'm finiding that my favorite character designs are ones where the features, feet, hands etc are oversized of not proportional. Im glad you mentioned that.

Thanks also for wishing me luck. Right now I'm focusing on spreading the word about Nimian legends. It's REALLY tough as an indie artist and game designer to put on this marketing hat and try to get the word out. Ive had to overcome my artists shyness about my work and really take every opportunity to reach out to people. It's exhausting;) But i believe it'll be worth it. Getting feedback from people like you is one of the things that keeps me going, reminding me that I'm not talking out into a vacuum.

I couldn't play because I'm on a lagging computer right now but I can say that it certainly looks and feels like a game that's been 3 years in development. Nice work!

Thank you Aegar. If you get a chance to let me know your computer specs give-or-take that would be cool. Im really interested in the performance cross multiple platforms. i noticed a sizeable amount of people were playing it on the Wii U for a long time too, but when I tested it myself it was sooooo laggy so I give them props for perservering through that to play the game:) I'm basically sucking up any and all feedback and criticism about the game so i can understand how it performs in the wild and make any adjustment and optimizations I can.

Really beautiful game, :) I played it before reading all the comments and was wondering who you managed to get to do the art (it's so hard finding artists)  but you seem to have done it yourself which is amazing.

I like the map implementation too, it's nice. I must play more.

Thanks Starboar!

It's a mixture of my own art and some great artists I found through the unity store and from some stock art sites.

One of my favorites is Bitgem. http://shop.bitgem3d.com/  Things like the dungeon doors, villages and plinths are from his collection. I really love the proportions of his work, like a more real warcraft or fable with a beautiful handpainted style. The trees are from a toon collection of vegetation.

The cards, creatures, citizens, map, clans  and trim are mine. Some of the landscapes are open source landscape images with a paint filter. And other are 3d rendered landscapes.

The home image was painted by a friend of mine for this project:)

The map took a long time to figure it out. Finally leaflet.js http://leafletjs.com/ came out and had this really great mapping opensource code. It's so wonderful it handles the map across almost any device. Then came a ton of custom javascript to tie everything together - things like a travel engine, battle system, stores and dialogue.

Im working on a new expansion now called Bloodlines. It opens up the western nation of Tiviscus on the map, an ultra religious Diarchy that you'll get to investigate and even go on a Blood Crusade. The first adventure was kind of a "get to know how it works" thing, lighter on story that i wanted. so for the second im creating a more story focused adventure, set in a rich world of stained glass, imperial guards and Grand Emperas. I hope you'll check it out.

And this spring im releasing a 3d open-world boss battle app thats set in Nimian Legends. You get to explore an open region and find and defeat a unique boss. Check out my 30 second trailer here:

Thanks again:)