[WIP] Nimian Legends - Bite-size HTML5 RPG

Protopop

Update March 5th 2014: I've added iPhone support via media queries and a little detecion.

Hi:)

I've released a BETA of my game Nimian Legends. Its a lite RPG adventure you can play in your browser. It's set in the world of Nimian Legends, which is the setting for various 'Nimian' games ive made over the years. It includes Episode 1 which introduces you to the Empyre, its people and how it works.

It works best in Safari and Chrome. Good in Firefox and iPad too. I havent tested Android yet but i think it will work. IE support is coming up too.

The game is here: http://nimianlegends.com

If youd like you can leave feedback on the website or in this forum. The basics are in place so now im looking to smooth out balance issues and any suggestions about things that should be fixed. Thanks for any feedback.

post-3902-0-83967000-1390246191.jpg

post-3902-0-10336400-1390246210.jpg

post-3902-0-32625200-1390246219.jpg

Thanks Bubamara - that's a great idea.

Like say that you have 5 potions that heal 5 points each, you could click a "Heal all" button and it will use up all the potions needed to bring you back to full health? I need to find a good way to integrate both a 'use one potion' and 'heal all' buttons close together, or maybe there should just be one button that heals all and no 'drink a single potion' button...hmm, i will take a look around and see how some other games do it. If you know of an example off the top of your head I'd like to hear it.

I also need to put a more visible 'Use potion' button for when you're just walking around. Maybe when you click the 'health' icon on the top right?

Thanks for the feedback - that Dracotaur has been driven mad living in the dungeon for so long - he's one crazy beast:)

Wow ... I am really impressed by the first look of this game. I work in the professional online games industry for the last six years now and I have to say this is an tremendous looking project. Are you really doing this all on your own (gamedesign, graphics, sound, programming) ?

I can see you plan some premium currency and persistency level. What is your overall goal of this game? Do you want to push it to a commercial stage? Do you want to pitch it to some publisher?

Anyway, good luck with this project.

Cool Benny -thanks! I can tell you know your stuff and it’s heartening to get a compliment like that.

Many of the icons and photos are stock art, along with stock music. There’s a lot of plugins i could never do this without - like leaflet and jquery. The rest is me (javascript, the map, character + game design etc).

The game itself is free. the first goal is the dungeon master in me just wanting to bring the world in my head to life:) I wanted to make it accessible without any barriers or forced signups, so i went with HTML so it can be shared on as many platforms as possible. The login is handled by Parse, i just didn't enable it yet because im trying to figure out how to handle remote vs local save integration. And the gold in game is free too - well, you do have to kill beasts, find treasure and complete quests to earn it:)

Commercially I hope it will publicize my Nimian Battles 3d open world mobile games im working on that are set in the world. It’s all part of the same universe and i hope that sales from my 3d game apps will let me continue to bring the world to life, and eventually work with more people to make it even better.

Whew! anyways thanks for asking, i think i had to get that all out of me;)

Little piece of advice from a long time gamer:  Don't make things too easy.  The suggestions about heal capability are good, but too much heal with too little drawback or offsetting cost will result in less fun.

It looks very professional btw, nice work.

Thanks Mwatt - that is good advice, especially since i am trying to balance the gameplay. It will help me to remember that as a general rule to make sure benefits come with some kind of opportunity cost, that way the players decisions carry more weight.

Your website has some interesting links - its so great because people here love HTML5 so there is so much i can learn from your advice AND pages:)

That's amazing, I love it!

Thank you FyreTale - cool name BTW. In Nimian Legends the letter 'Y' replaces 'I' most places in the language so you'd fit right in;)

Thanks Neon:) The game has been in development about 3 years - worked on in my spare time. And the world itself has been in my head more than a decade.

Amost 2 years ago i was going to release it in an earlier state - you can see vide here:

but the tech wasnt up to what i wanted to show. The beautiful thing about HTML5 and the web in general is that if you wait 6 months often your programming problem will be solved by some new technology. In this case it was Leaflet - the map javascript plugin - that allowed me to include the kind of mapping i'd imagined originally.

Thanks for that feedback Karma - it's very helpful because I was wondering about that.

At first you could only tackle the  quest package in linear order, so 1)get a career 2)talk to mer paladine 3) kill Nana Sinki but i didnt like forcing a linear order. But then i was worried about what you just described. So i threw a line in the quest about "make sure you get equipped first" but that wasnt enough and i can see from what you say that it isnt:)

Id like to keep the ability to tackle quests in any order BUT now im thinking either a)make the first three quests linear so that by the time you get to nana you have some chops (not my fav option) or B) this is what ill lost likely do is put a warning if you go and see nana before youb have a career or weapons that at least says "be warned you should get a career and weapon" or something similar.

This is exactly why i need feedback so thank you again. If you have any other comments please dont be shy to let me know. I want to improve it and listening to what you have to say is the best way:)

Cool Benny -thanks! I can tell you know your stuff and it’s heartening to get a compliment like that.

Many of the icons and photos are stock art, along with stock music. There’s a lot of plugins i could never do this without - like leaflet and jquery. The rest is me (javascript, the map, character + game design etc).

The game itself is free. the first goal is the dungeon master in me just wanting to bring the world in my head to life:) I wanted to make it accessible without any barriers or forced signups, so i went with HTML so it can be shared on as many platforms as possible. The login is handled by Parse, i just didn't enable it yet because im trying to figure out how to handle remote vs local save integration. And the gold in game is free too - well, you do have to kill beasts, find treasure and complete quests to earn it:)

Commercially I hope it will publicize my Nimian Battles 3d open world mobile games im working on that are set in the world. It’s all part of the same universe and i hope that sales from my 3d game apps will let me continue to bring the world to life, and eventually work with more people to make it even better.

Whew! anyways thanks for asking, i think i had to get that all out of me;)

Even more astonishing to hear that there is not commercial interest in the first place that drives you to make this game. Definately will keep an eye on this project.

Please keep up updated with your progress.

Best,

benny! 

Hi Apelmon - I'm really glad to hear you played it on iPad:) making sure it worked on tablets was a big goal of mine.

Right now I'm doing 3 things - 1) gathering feedback to update and improve the game 2) Publish the next episode set in the ultra-religious kingdom of Tiviscus and 3) Building the first Nimian Battles game which takes place in the same map but is a 3d Open-area Battle app.

I hope youll check that out when it gets on the app store, and thanks for taking the time to write. It's a labor of love and hearing from people who play the game keeps me motivated!

Thanks Gio!

I've read a LOT of game design books and learned a lot by making games. I really recommend to people who want to make games to read and absorb as much as you can about your passion.

What helped a lot with this game was understanding my limits. After letting it sit for 6 months when i came back to it I realized it was too big for me to manage. So i decided to simplify, chop things out. It made the game finishable and allowed me to improve the quality by focussing on less things. Understanding that im alone and cant do everything was important too - i used stock art wherever i couldnt create or didnt have time to create it, and i used plugins like leaflet and jquery whenever possible.

I like the result too and hope that its goves some people a few minutes of escape and pleasure:)