What FPS do you target?

VaragtP

If you want your animations to be smooth, your game should render at the same frequency (or a multiple of it) than the device screen's refresh rate.

Since most of LCDs render at 60Hz (so 60 FPS), it's a good thing to target 60 FPS!

If you want to easily achieve this, you could run your game logic at 30Hz and render at 60Hz.

The "rendering-only" frame processes little calculations to interpolate animations.

I’m not limiting fps in my games in the games I’m making now, so these games would be fps independent.

I’m trying to keep the lower bound of framerate at 45-60fps on iPhone 4s with hope that Android devices with above average hardware will show at least 30fps.

This may depend on the type of game, but IMHO 30fps is better than 60, i.e. a game with great visuals running at 30fps is better than a game with poor visuals that runs at 60fps.

60fps may be great for tech-savvy people like you and me, but your average gamer doesn't care. I've learned this the hard way: people just want things to look good, and if you're running at 30fps you have double the processing power to do that.

Besides, at 30fps things can look smooth enough. When you go to the cinema you don't really think it isn't smooth enough, do you? (in most cases that's 24fps, but I agree with ooflorent in that you should try to stick to an integer fraction of the refresh rate). 

This may depend on the type of game, but IMHO 30fps is better than 60, i.e. a game with great visuals running at 30fps is better than a game with poor visuals that runs at 60fps.

And a game with great visuals at 60fps is easy to achieve (on desktop) if your rendering engine is awesomely powerful (who said Pixi?).

When you go to the cinema you don't really think it isn't smooth enough, do you?

Movies are smooth at 24fps because of motion blur!

I've learned this the hard way: people just want things to look good, and if you're running at 30fps you have double the processing power to do that.

I can't agree more on this!

As Gio said, it depends on the type of game!

What really matters is the user experience.

Besides, at 30fps things can look smooth enough. When you go to the cinema you don't really think it isn't smooth enough, do you? (in most cases that's 24fps, but I agree with ooflorent in that you should try to stick to an integer fraction of the refresh rate). 

Movies are smooth at 24fps because of motion blur!

Also because movies are filmed taking into account the 24fps - there are filming guidelines, eg only pan this fast, don't rotate over x degrees per second, etc etc. Directors and cameramen know these limitations, in a game this is harder because the user controls these conditions, and the framerate isn't constant. There's also a psychological effect involved with interactive vs non-interactive video - you're more likely to notice stutters and low framerates if you're in control of the action than not, especially if the input is tied to the framerate (input lag).

• 2 weeks later...

I try and target 60 but that's not always feasible, Once it starts dipping below that it's just a tradeoff for extra features vs framerate. Deciding whether it's worth the tradeoff depends on the game type and tolerant it is of lower framerates and how valuable the features are for you.

For any kind of real time game I get worried once my framerate starts dipping below 30fps though.

• 1 month later...