Is HTML5 really alive?

Midnight

Recently some (can't tell who, sorry) offered me revenue sharing model, claiming they're now moving away from buying non-exclusive licenses. These info come from just days ago.

If you ask me is it really alive or not, I believe it does. It's just getting bigger for me. But if you're talking about whether people are still buying casual HTML5 game licenses, I don't know.

When I released 1st and 2nd game - no interest from sponsors. Few email here and there and thats it.

Then I redesigned my games, changed graphics, improved quality, optimized many things, added few cool features and I got offers from most of major sponsors.

Yeah, market is growing. Not extremely fast but still as fast as new guys are showing up. We still have few months when YOU can choose who to sell to.

I've released two games. A small one, and a bigger one here:

creatures-of-gaia.com/play.php

...I must say the reception is rather cold. Not much activity from sponsors, and rather small amounts.

What I can say is that they prefer small games with one time non-exclusive license. Be prepared for low balling too.

They also dislike games having in-app purchases, social features, multiplayer ...and only few publishers have the infrastructure necessary for revenue share.

I think Spilgames is one the the bigger sponsors out there, but don't expect too much either. It's low.

I heard some people like http://www.okijin.com/ do suprisingly well, but personally, it feels like I'm striving in the desert.

I came to this market just in October 2013, but I've only seen it improve for me as I got the hang of HTML5 and upped the quality of my games with time.

EDIT: About Okijin, I'd be really interested to know if his mobile app store income is higher than his HTML5 non-exclusive license income.

I'm new to trying to sell non-exclusive licenses for my games. I just finished making two games (Ozone and Jumbling Gems) in January. I feel very confident with the quality of these two new games. I'm just having a REALLY hard time finding sponsors. Any tips or advice on how to find them?

When you have ten posts here or so , you'll have access to a forum that lists all the common sponsors and ways to contact them :)

I'm new to trying to sell non-exclusive licenses for my games. I just finished making two games (Ozone and Jumbling Gems) in January. I feel very confident with the quality of these two new games. I'm just having a REALLY hard time finding sponsors. Any tips or advice on how to find them?

Going to be honest here, sorry, but I think you'll struggle to sell many licenses of those. I didn't have a clue what to do in Ozone when it started, and visually it's quite sci-fi (not very 'casual'). Also ran pretty slow for me on an iPad Mini. Jumbling Gems was a lot better, and I reckon has more potential, but the touch detection was quite flaky and I would often loose a round because it stopped detecting my swipe :( (again I think this might be speed related rather than code). I got to level 3 before I semi rage quitted :)

When you have ten posts here or so , you'll have access to a forum that lists all the common sponsors and ways to contact them :)

THANKS! :) That's good to know.

Going to be honest here, sorry, but I think you'll struggle to sell many licenses of those. I didn't have a clue what to do in Ozone when it started, and visually it's quite sci-fi (not very 'casual'). Also ran pretty slow for me on an iPad Mini. Jumbling Gems was a lot better, and I reckon has more potential, but the touch detection was quite flaky and I would often loose a round because it stopped detecting my swipe :( (again I think this might be speed related rather than code). I got to level 3 before I semi rage quitted :)

Thanks Rich! I like your honesty. I don't want false hope. What could I do to improve my games? I will update Ozone and make the tutorial mandatory on the first play. You're right about it not being very casual. I was trying to make something different that kinda stood out. And you're also right about my games running slow on some IOS devices. I'm not sure what to change. I went to a local store and the games run GREAT on the display devices, but when I get someone that owns the device personally to test my games, it runs rather slow :/

If you can do anything to replace the Ozone graphics with something more casual it will help loads imho. However, you could always just send it "as is" and see? (actually, make the tutorial mandatory first). If no sponsors bite then just re-name it with more casual graphics and pretend it's a brand new game :)

Not sure what to suggest re: speed. Maybe get a few more people here / friends to test it first.

If you can do anything to replace the Ozone graphics with something more casual it will help loads imho. However, you could always just send it "as is" and see? (actually, make the tutorial mandatory first). If no sponsors bite then just re-name it with more casual graphics and pretend it's a brand new game :)

Not sure what to suggest re: speed. Maybe get a few more people here / friends to test it first.

I'm on it! Thanks for the advice.  :)

I don't want false hope. What could I do to improve my games?

Compare your games to ones that are out there. You have basic graphics, no instructions really. Why your games are better than others? Its 2014 already - you cannot just split any game and expect best. Try to go to html5 portals, check most popular games - thats what you need to aim at in regards to quality.

Compare your games to ones that are out there. You have basic graphics, no instructions really. Why your games are better than others? Its 2014 already - you cannot just split any game and expect best. Try to go to html5 portals, check most popular games - thats what you need to aim at in regards to quality.

Thanks for the advice Funkyy. Graphics is where I struggle. I have no money yet to hire anyone for graphics so I'm stuck with what art I can make and free art online. I changed my games so the instructions happen automatically.  :)

Well, judging by how seles of this game go: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/3691-monster-hunter

Html5 is pretty much dead. I would love to know otherwise, but let's say, sponsors are somewhat unresponsive.

HTML5 is not dead for me, at least it's not as dead as Flash. I don't know when you contacted sponsors, but I got some replies after 1-2 months, some of which positive :)

HTML5 is not dead for me, at least it's not as dead as Flash. I don't know when you contacted sponsors, but I got some replies after 1-2 months, some of which positive :)

1-2 Months?!

I got positive replies in a day, now after I told them I'm all ears, no answers for a week. I suppose, it's normal?

Then why did they answer so fast at first?

1-2 Months?!

I got positive replies in a day, now after I told them I'm all ears, no answers for a week. I suppose, it's normal?

Then why did they answer so fast at first?

Same stuff happens with Flash market all the time :)

... And the main reason I would like to move away from the sponsorship business :)

EDIT: About Okijin, I'd be really interested to know if his mobile app store income is higher than his HTML5 non-exclusive license income.

To reply here, so far, non-exclusive license income for Zombies Can't Jump has been higher than store income but I think that over the course of a year, the combined store income (WP8, Windows 8, iTunes, Google Play) for this game will pass its overall licensing revenue. Sure, there are other ways to iterate licensing revenue for a game (e.g. re-skin) but I believe it is worth to keep working on both sides because stores seem to provide the best returns in the long run and offer a decent way to hedge the HTML5 licensing income of the game.