Elvarion - HTML5 MMORPG

Torsin

Hello, just wanted to share some of the progress on a HTML5 MMORPG game I'm developing. It's still in early stages and progressing well. It's called Elvarion. Here's a sneak peak video of the smooth per pixel movement, attack from a projectile generated server side with particle effects.

Technology used

Animations
- PIXI.js animations (been thinking about Spine... but maybe later)
Rendering
- PIXI.js
- PIXI.js particle effects
- WebGL
Sound
- Howler
Language
- Javascript and Node
Map Editor
- Tiled
Network
- Socket.io
- Nengi.js
DB
- MongoDB

You can find us on Discord or on reddit.

Thanks!

Looks good! HTML5 mmorpg is a great project/challenge for learning tons of advanced stuff in computer science in general! It covers all the basis.

One piece of advice i'd give, if you want to go to production with your MMO, switch socket.io for something lighter and way faster, I would consider even switching language to something like Go or C++! Check out uWebsockets (micro websockets) for C++.  

16 minutes ago, vedia said:

Looks good! HTML5 mmorpg is a great project/challenge for learning tons of advanced stuff in computer science in general! It covers all the basis.

One piece of advice i'd give, if you want to go to production with your MMO, switch socket.io for something lighter and way faster, I would consider even switching language to something like Go or C++! Check out uWebsockets (micro websockets) for C++.  

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion. I will have to do more research on using uWebsockets. Haven't coded in C or C++ in ages. lol There's still lots to do and lots of challenges ahead in building the game and having efficient sockets/communication between server and client is one of them.

More progress this week.
Thanks to all of you for your support, help and guidance, it's really appreciated.

Join our Discord server for more updates: https://discord.gg/tKWJQaaBVj

Update for this week include:
- Projectile impact particles
- Multiple user animations corrected
- Waterfalls, tile based animations in place

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update since it has been a while. I've been working on more of the core functionality, collisions to be more precise. This past week has been about collisions, components and client code cleanup. Here's a list of the components that have been added this week.

Components
* keyboard (used for player movement)
* mouse (used for hover actions and clicking on objects)
* collision (collision checking per tile, entity or object)
* stats (this hold all the entities stats, HP, MP, attributes, etc...)

More will be added as time goes on and I keep cleaning the code. Stay tuned, also here an in game pic of the functional tile collisions

Enjoy, and if you want to contribute and/or have ideas, join our discord: https://discord.gg/tKWJQaaBVj

unknown.png?width=1794&height=999

• 1 month later...