Hex-GS: A tubetastic arcade shooter - COMPLETE

ggvicviper

Hex-GS IS COMPLETE! - http://www.newyorkcodebits.com/webapp/hex-gs/

Hey guys, got another one for you. Since Huoli Arcade, I've wanted to create a game variation of my all time favorite, Gyruss.

Enter Hex-GS. It's going to be a similar styled 80's tube/gyro shooter from the arcades, but I'm adding some twists. For starters, you will be able to power up your Hexfighter with a dual shot, and then a rotater/spreader-dual shot. Second, you have the ability to grapple to the other side of the tube surface with a button. To top it off, like the NES/Famicom Disk port of Gyruss, you will be able to select whether you will control in the traditional arcade style, or with a simpler rotate/spin control. All of these features have already been implemented in the code and are working well - though you can't use them yet unless you hack a little in the JS console, as the running demo is arcade style controls, with only the single shot.

hex-gs-screenshot.png

You can try a demo of the basic game system I have developed so far. All you can really do here is control the player - no enemies or anything yet.

The game is to be VERY mobile/tablet friendly with touch controls, as well as desktop based with a keyboard or gamepad/joystick for supported browsers like Chrome and Nightly Firefox. It's also is using my WebcadeJS library, which I hope hardcore programmers can eventually adopt.

Controls:

Desktop/Laptop:

Arrow Keys/Gamepad/Joystick: Move

Space Key/Button 1: Fire

Alt Key/Button 2: Grapple to other side

Mobile/Tablet:

Touch one finger: Move & Fire

Touch two fingers: Grapple to other side

Looks good;)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing where I can go with this.

This also looks cool, though I do prefer my 80's look of Z80/224x256 style of old arcade machines. Plus I'm not a talented artist to make my game look as detailed as this nice looking one. :P

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!

I was able to get rudimentary iCade support on this (and WebcadeJS in general, the library I created for use in my games) in the game.

To try it: Load the game in an iPad browser. Tap the screen once, and then you can start using iCade. It shows an overlay, but I'm going to see if I can do better with this.

It's currently deactivated, but it does work. I just hate the stupid form assistant popping up - it has no business being there.

• 1 month later...

I liked it. It gets a bit repetitive after a while, but I can totally see how this would be fun with some more variation in enemies, their behavior/movement, etc. After all, it's still just a demo. :)

Good job on the controls (desktop version). I never had to think about what direction the ship would go in when I pressed a specific button - it all just seemed natural.

• 3 months later...

More update: I was going back & forth a few months between JS & a few other native languages due to performance pouting, but I think I got things a little better. I'm setting up a Mac in my studio with all my old game consoles to create a grand gaming & entertainment portal.

While new enemies have not yet been added (they will be), I have made a few tweaks to the game. First, the level spins around you. Second, the main enemies turn. Third, there is music. Fourth, it all works on iOS (5.0+). Fifth, on desktop, fullscreen and gamepad are supported (where available for use).

Still left to add are new enemies, levels, and powerups that take you through the cycle of the player actually powering up.

• 2 weeks later...

More fun to be had since my last update last week. I've added a few sound effects for player shots, asteroids that you have to avoid, an updated grapple beam, and a nasty brain that you need to eliminate. Keep playing and trying on all platforms! Hopefully this will be built in full by Christmas, where I'll have this year's Christmas challenge with my family for prizes.

I'm really trying hard to make this a showpiece for true arcade games on the web. Many battles have been fought in the face of a console/arcade-like experience in the forms of performance/framerate on lower-powered machines (including fullscreen capabilities), gamepad/joystick struggles, and audio. I'm continuing to fight the good fight - and I hope the results are coming out good.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The game is now officially a game, able to play in the beta state. I'm going to be using this beta state to have a game for our Christmas Eve celebration. Yep - HTML5/JavaScript game competition on the big screen.

Do me a favor, please give the game a shot from the link above - even if you already have. I want to know what you guys think.

• 1 month later...