js13kGames competition 2014

end3r

Just noticed that there were no tshirts this year. Is this subject to change, or are the prizes the final ones? I actually like the one from last year :(

I was trying to get enough sponsors this time to offer it officially (see that the last years the t-shirts were also "a secret gift"), but it really depends on the number of submitted games - the more games, the more money needed for t-shirts.

In 2012 I managed and paid for everything on my own (t-shirts with shipment worldwide), in 2013 with help from sponsors, but still paying for some part. This time, being indie dev instead of working in a big company I just don't have the money to cover missing piece on my own. I will probably end up sending t-shirts to the top30 or something like that. Or borrow the money to cover everybody if the number of entries will be at the similar level to the previous years (60 in 2012, 70 in 2013).

I really wanted to offer the t-shirts from day one, put a huge banner "free t-shirts for everyone", but I was sending tons of emails months before the compo start and only get the support from four companies (which I'm thankful for a lot: Spil Games, Boostermedia, Mozilla and GitHub). I don't want to put that banner, have 200 or 300 entries and had to find that amount of money out of nowhere. It was very important for me to continue sending t-shirts for every participant also this year, but it will have to wait till September 13th when the number of submitted games will be known.

Are audio files part of the 13k limitation?

Yes, everything is. You have to put all the assets in the package.

If you're wondering how to enter the js13kGames competition, because you don't know where to start, how to compress your JavaScript code and minify all the assets, generate sound effects and procedurally create the levels, just visit the Tuts+ Gamedev article:

How to Minify Your HTML5 Game for the Js13kGames Competition

You can also add your ideas and tools if you have something which better suits your needs.

Competition will probably be pretty great, and I expect to have lots of fun doing it. Asking about some details in the rules, particularly the png packing rule. As packing js into pngs is dissallowed, is other kinds of text data as well? Menus strings, dialogue, webGL shaders etc.? Those would be logical to be disallowed. How about packing just content data, 3d models, levels etc, which sound more ok to be packed into a "binary" file? Allowed, right? Textures and other kinds of game bitmaps I assume to be allowed in an image file :)

Good luck everyone, waiting to see what you come up with.

I just put up a blog post on CodePen about adding audio to js13k: http://codepen.io/jackrugile/blog/arcade-audio-for-js13k-games I hope that helps a little ;)

Thanks, I'll check that out tonight. I was actually thinking about your game in particular ;)

Not sure yet if I'll have enough space to add sounds. Maybe I'll see when I'm out of inspiration for the game itself.

I thought that I should register with this site and announce that I'm intending to submit an entry for this year's competition.

I've had my eye on the Java 4K game contest for many years, from way back when the creator of Minecraft was participating, and often thinking I'd enter it at some point. But then recently this 13k JS contest caught my eye and I figured it was a lot more relevant to today's browser technologies, but still had the same kind of restricted feel to it. The main reason I'm announcing my intention to enter is so that I can't back out of it. It will hopefully kick me in to action.    :)

Thanks to everyone for the tips on sound effects, etc. 

@jackrugile

Any idea how to get jsfxr to work in IE? IE doesn't support wav. Is there a way to encode to ogg or mpeg instead?

@end3r

This is the first time for me to participate and I already love it. I started working on my game after you announced the game topic, had to set up my rendering engine, work with audios, create graphics, etc. And there are already so many things that I never had to use or never even thought of!

My ideas just keep popping up. This will be quiet interesting and I hope my game will do well.

I never imagined just how much one could press in only 13kb without losing quality.

@SebastianNette

Hey, I don' have the best test environment regarding IE, so I'm not sure :/ I don't know if the library is actively maintained at the moment, but it might be worth adding an issue on the repo and requesting different output formats: https://github.com/mneubrand/jsfxr Let me know if you end up finding a solution, sorry I can't help more.

@lanceewing - good luck with the development!

@SebastianNette - thanks for the kind words! :)

I've added Michael Wales as the last judge and NodeBB hosting as the prize. I'm still working on the submit form and its integration to have everything online, sorry about the delay.

Any update on this? Didn't find the upload form yet.

My friend is helping me with the backend of the compo website - he have some problems with the submit process and GitHub integration. I don't know what to say - I'm sorry for the problem, I'll do everything to have it working as soon as possible.

I just put up a blog post on CodePen about adding audio to js13k: http://codepen.io/jackrugile/blog/arcade-audio-for-js13k-games I hope that helps a little ;)

My submission for js13k this year actually has a patch for jsfxr involved. A friend/coworker of mine patched the module to use AudioContext buffer sources instead of the full blown element. The resultant API for your game audio module can then be used as such...

define('audio', ['jsfxr', 'vent'], function( jsfxr, vent ){    'use strict';    var AC =  window.webkitAudioContext || window.AudioContext,        ctx = new AC();    function register( namespace, sound ){        var buffer = jsfxr(sound, ctx);        vent.on(namespace, function(){            var src = ctx.createBufferSource();            src.buffer = buffer;            src.connect(ctx.destination);            src.start(0);        });    }    register('shoot', [0,,0.0243,,0.2334,0.7546,,-0.3971,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,0.33]);    register('kaboom!', [3,,0.233,0.3771,0.67,0.0656,,-0.29,,,,,,,,0.75,-0.24,0.34,0.15,-0.18,0.76,,,0.31]);    register('activate', [0,,0.3417,,0.49,0.2556,,0.2183,,0.6583,0.4986,-0.24,,0.37,-0.0799,,,,1,,,,,0.34]);    register('deactivate', [0,,0.3469,,0.44,0.2142,,-0.18,,0.2873,0.1353,,,0.3639,,,,,1,,,,,0.4]);});...// Play the soundvent.emit('kaboom!')

The main patch for jsfxr is to have it return an AudioBuffer instead of a WAV ArrayBuffer. The modified return stanza looks a bit like this.

data = new Float32Array(synth.totalReset());synth.synthWave(data, data.length);buffer = ctx.createBuffer(1, data.length, 44100);buffer.getChannelData(0).set(data);return buffer;

Once my repo is public, I'm happy to share the entire source.

Hi!

I've finished a game for js13kgames, but I can't find the submission form. Where can I submit it?

Thanks!

Apparenlty they are working hard on getting the upload form ready. So we can only wait.

Some of us are already posting our games in the game showcase forum to get some suggestions and to find bugs.

The challenge still goes on for 2 more weeks. Maybe do the same and improve your game or work on another entry (multiple submissions are allowed).

Apparenlty they are working hard on getting the upload form ready. So we can only wait.

Some of us are already posting our games in the game showcase forum to get some suggestions and to find bugs.

The challenge still goes on for 2 more weeks. Maybe do the same and improve your game or work on another entry (multiple submissions are allowed).

Thanks, I'll upload it to the showcase now. I have already started another game, and I'll submit both of them (or may be more :D )