GM: Studio, issues with sound?

old

Hello everyone,

I am having issues with GM: Studio and sound on Android devices. Many sponsors have rejected our games because of the sound issues (especially on native browser) and I was wondering how the other developers that are using GM: Studio addressed this issue?

can you guys tell me which format works on native browsers

Hey, for native Android browser, try using the legacy audio system. I use Compressed format (Streamed) for background music and Compressed (un-compress on load) for sound effects.

Found this for you Sandy, is this what you meant? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14701951/javascript-detect-android-native-browser You could do it with a javascript extension.

Hey since it's relevant: I noticed that Game Maker appeared to have converted all my .ogg into .wav files, does this create a larger file size for the project?

If the browser is using WebGL, use the new audio engine. If the browser is NOT using WebGL, then use the legacy sound engine. If you use auto detect, set up some sound scripts like so..

if(audio_system() == audio_old_system)then //No WebGL - So use old system.
{
      sound_play(argument0); //Play legacy sound
}
else
{
      audio_play_sound(argument0, 0, false); //Play sound with new engine
}

If you are using 8-bit/chiptune style audio, you can down sample the audio and choose the lowest quality to reduce the size of the audio files. I reduced a 2mb song to 200kb this way and the quality is still decent. The audio even works on my cheap $30 LG test phone on the android stock browser by using this method.

Hey, for native Android browser, try using the legacy audio system. I use Compressed format (Streamed) for background music and Compressed (un-compress on load) for sound effects.

This is what is stated on YYG Tech blog...check under sound... https://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/30

Also, I dont see the point to make .wav files since GM after compiling create both .mp3 and .ogg files. I didnt see an option in GM to use just .wav files. Did I missed something? Is there an option for that?

• 2 months later...

What about freaking music taking forever to load? I reduced my total game size to less than 3mb with sounds and music and still I have to wait 10 to 15 seconds for music to load. With sounds but no music it loads in about 3 to 5 seconds. What setting do you guys suggest for music, should it be uncompressed like the rest of the sounds? What about audio channels, is there some pointers on that?