Squared, the ultimate hardest game ever

Gustavgb

Hey everybody,

A while ago I created this game. It's hard and requires some super ninja powers to beat it.

The object is to jump blue and black squares. Why both? Because the black squares are only dangerous from the sides and from underneath, which means you can walk on it.

The levels are randomly generated, so that it's impossible to practice on curtain levels. 

You win the game when you reach the green square. But as I said before, it requires some super ninja powers to get there. Only people with those exact powers will be able to do it.

( Also I'm not responsible for various rage-actions )

Play the game:

http://dev.gustavgb.dk/games/squarejumper/

Screenshots:

1.png3.png

Still need to work more on the jump style.

I'm falling very fast , which is not expected. Gravity should contain the same , regardless of whether you're falling or jumping , it's a constant;

I've tried to make you very basic illustrations that might help:

afaefgta.png

As I understand it, the red ball should fall and jump slower, and over a longer time, to make it more realistic. Is that right? :)

EDIT: I have now again tried to fix it, if you would mind trying ;)

Yes, to an extent , I think the jump should be like this:  one big push ; keep  raising a bit; can't raise anymore ; start falling;

I should be simply implemented if your object is affected by "gravity" anytime it's on the air , regardless from whether or not it's jumping,

So the character should go up when SPACE is pushed, and down when released?

I actually don't mind the jump animation. It doesn't have to be realistic, especially in a minimalist / abstract game like this where the player doesn't necessarily expect real physics. If you were going to chance the jump animation then you should make it more responsive to button pressing. So holding down spacebar would have a different effect than just pressing it. Whatever you come up with.

What I think the game does desperately need is more obstacles. Right now all you have are stationary dots and moving dots. (Maybe you have more but I was too bored to play through more than half of the level). You should add many more enemies and things to jump over. Possibly scripted events. Good start, though!

I actually don't mind the jump animation. It doesn't have to be realistic, especially in a minimalist / abstract game like this where the player doesn't necessarily expect real physics. If you were going to chance the jump animation then you should make it more responsive to button pressing. So holding down spacebar would have a different effect than just pressing it. Whatever you come up with.

What I think the game does desperately need is more obstacles. Right now all you have are stationary dots and moving dots. (Maybe you have more but I was too bored to play through more than half of the level). You should add many more enemies and things to jump over. Possibly scripted events. Good start, though!

Thanks for the comment. Nice idea, I have thought about it. If you could come with some exact ideas, maybe on the texture or the behavier of the enemy. Also I agree that the game is pretty boring right now.

Could use more juicy effects, but I love simple endless games like that.

Oh and I could not try again after I lost, pressing space has no effect (FF24)

Thanks, what effects? Rotating, or? Thanks for the comment though.

highscore is a nice addition ;) I'm still not confortable with the jump. I think because "jump" is a very important thing in this game (see, the name of the game ;)) it deserve some more work. Not necessarily a precise and accurate "jump" but something more like Mario jump, for exemple. (that's my opinion)

highscore is a nice addition ;) I'm still not confortable with the jump. I think because "jump" is a very important thing in this game (see, the name of the game ;)) it deserve some more work. Not necessarily a precise and accurate "jump" but something more like Mario jump, for exemple. (that's my opinion)

Well, I shall take a look at it :) Although I think the jump is 'fine' ;)