[Closed] $10,000 Y8 and id.net 1 Week Game Developer Contest!

eddieone

Hi, I'm happy to announce that Y8 and id.net are having a game developer contest starting March 9th. It will last 1 week from the starting date. The rules are simple and fair too. Make a game, add 2 id.net features, submit the game to the jury. The jury will decide who the 5 winners are. We will be sending an email on March 9th about the theme of the contest.

WebContest_Banner_325x130_NewDate.gif.07

Just wanted to give a "short" summary of entry 8.2 of the "ID.net Contest Terms and Conditions", in case someone doesn't see the slightly inconspicuous link at the the end of this colorfull website.

It says: Every game submitted to this contest(not only the 5 winning entrys) includes a free license with which they can do whatever they want. (Even sell it to other people.)

8.2 License. By submitting a Registration, Developer hereby upon Registration provides to Company an irrevocable, worldwide, fully-paid, royalty free, sub-licensable license to the game as published on Company’s websites, so that Company may use the game in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without territorial or time limitations.

Even if there is a "chance" to win the price of a non-exclusive license (or exclusive with a bit of luck): No thank you.

Hi, no need to bash on our contest. I stand by what I said about it having fair terms.

The 8.2 section means by submitting a game, you allow us to display the game on our network for user voting. We will update the terms to clarify this.

We don't control the intellectual property, that's yours. We also don't have limits on how you use the game afterwards, you're free to sell licenses. You can even sell an exclusive license as the contest terms allows developers to have us remove the game after the contest has ended.

Our intentions with this contest are to promote learning about id.net features and get people used to working with Y8.

Hi Ahmed, I realize a week probably won't produce any super big hit games, except maybe in a lucky circumstance like Flappy Bird. Though, if you were to make a game plan today, get your art and main concepts completed within a few days, you could create a good game within a week. Of course, you will have to adjust it for the secret theme to be released soon. :)

Settings artificial limitations can be a good way to get people into a flow state. It can be a fun challenge to produce something without the usual over thinking that comes with game design. Many times musicians will use this technique to get past blocks in creating music. Anyway, if it turns out 1 week isn't enough, we can adjust for the second contest.

There is two (big problems) with the rules of your contest, the section 8.2 as @Jaridion reports especially the "without territorial or time limitations." that is even not legal in some countries and should be replaced by something like "for the duration of the contest" or something equivalent and the invoicing thing to claim the prize because invoicing is a legal term and for instance in Europa only a company has right to send invoice ; unless your contest is only open to company (and it's ok) an individual may not be able to claim the prize. It's the first time i see something like that in a contest. Otherwise the prices seem very nice and the rules very fair, i wish i find some time to enter the contest on such short notice ;) Especially with other contests at the same time ;)

3 hours ago, totor said:

There is two (big problems) with the rules of your contest, the section 8.2 as @Jaridion reports especially the "without territorial or time limitations." that is even not legal in some countries and should be replaced by something like "for the duration of the contest" or something equivalent and the invoicing thing to claim the prize because invoicing is a legal term and for instance in Europa only a company has right to send invoice ; unless your contest is only open to company (and it's ok) an individual may not be able to claim the prize. It's the first time i see something like that in a contest. Otherwise the prices seem very nice and the rules very fair, i wish i find some time to enter the contest on such short notice ;) Especially with other contests at the same time ;)

Hi there, Totor,

Thanks for the question. Section 5 ( 5. General conditions ) explains good that after the contest ends every developer or participant is able to request his game to be removed or updated with a newer file.

29 minutes ago, AzraelTycka said:

Hello,

I have a few questions, can you register even after the starting date of the contest?

Games are supposed to be submited where exactly and how? I suppose using a framework is ok?

I might have missed some detailed information - a link perhaps.

Thank you.

Hi AzraelTycka,

You can register the very last day, and submit your game on the last day as well, and you will be still competing for the grand $5,000 prize :) 

Useful Links:

ID.net Game Contest
http://dev.id.net/contest/

Official Terms and Conditions
http://dev.id.net/contest/terms-conditions

Forum ID.net
https://forum.id.net/t/10-000-y8-and-id-net-1-week-game-developer-contest/1204

Submit your Game to the Contest
http://static.y8.com/upload

18 hours ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

Hey guys! Happy to see y8.com here :) I subscribed :) 

UPD. Portals - my favorite theme :)

Welcome, Ivan, and good luck making a portal between you and the first prize, $5,000 :D

16 hours ago, kahootbird said:

Is there any general guidelines about the resolution of the game?

Why allow such a variety of technologies? WebGl, HTML5, Flash, and Unity. Does y8 regularly sponsor games made with any of these technologies? Asking out of genuine curiosity.

Resolution usually isn't a problem, and its common for flash games to have around 700x500 while unities are good with 960x600. If the game is bigger, we have a solution as well, where we iframe the game and show it to bigger/wider screen. So i'll say resolution won't be any problem, unless you were asking about a miniature resolution? :P I've seen some small flash games in the past, with resolution less than 100x100, as a gameboy replica or sorta :)

Everything that supports web games, is in our interest :) Yes, we sponsor various types of games, so feel free to contact us (or me) if you have any specifici game and tech you want to talk about licensing it.

59 minutes ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

So, how many coders have registered so far? :)

ah, hmm, i'd say we have below one thousands registrations so far, but we can't know for sure if they are coders, fans, designers or spams :/ We are looking forward seeing the submitted games, as that will be the clear number for this contest.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, haden said:

I'm having trouble saving or displaying highscores. I tried posting a question in id.net developer forums but it's not working too :/

What is the problem? Is there an error?

Also, what's the issue with the id.net forum?

9 hours ago, zoki_y8 said:

And, what's the nickname you have in there, Haden? We'll check it from back-end, and try to resolve it asap.

my nickname in the forum is "hakim".

When I click on login/register a popup opens up, and after I enter my credentials it says it will redirect to the forum in X seconds but then it becomes white and nothing happens!

I was able to get the JS highscores working but only after I got my game/application approved (I don't think it'w mentioned anywhere in the documentation). Also, I couldn't get the new leaderboard API to work, I get an "Invalid Request" response, but using ID.api.submit() actually works.

I am seeing similar issue with the Achievements API, but unfortunately I couldn't find an example using the ID.api.submit() for achievements.

8 hours ago, haden said:

When I click on login/register a popup opens up, and after I enter my credentials it says it will redirect to the forum in X seconds but then it becomes white and nothing happens!

Same thing here. I need support for issues with the C2 plugin, but i can't login.

Hi, if you're having issues logging into the id.net forum try a different browser. Also, try clearing your cache if that doesn't work. Check if you have a popup blocker message showing as well.

All APIs should work with a pending application status. For the leaderbaord and acheviements Game APIs, make sure your calls are wrapped by the init call. There's an example of the Game API docs.

http://dev.id.net/docs/javascript/game-api/

@Reborned please also try using a different browser to access the id.net forum.