Game Art, what do you do?

Rudrabhoj Bhati

For long time I used to think making my own art (character, background, logos, icons, etc.) are impossible. Then I found Illustrator and Inkscape which made making art very easy. I followed some tutorials to make icons and logos on youtube and made my compnay logo from ground up. Then I tried making icons, I googled at google images for ideas. Just for inspiration, not for stealing off course :P

Just starting to look into world of vector charecter design, any body with exprience on that? Any link/video/website suggestion?

And what do you guys use for art in your game?

I've always been making my own graphics under Gimp. They do look ugly, but I just like doing everything on my own (concerning HTML5 games).

If you have some good Inkscape tutorials though, I'd love to see them. I've tried it and just couldn't make anything good. I had to learn how to use Gimp by myself, but I'm not sure I would have the courage to do it again...

if you plan to use inkscape just start here

edit:

oh i also created my avatar with inkscape :)

for animations i use spriter but spine seems to be useful too

OMG, your avatar is outstanding. Really, vector have made the work real easy. Before knowing about vectors I never have imagined to create any artwork which is not a shit :P

I also made my own avatar which happens to be my compnay logo in illustrator xD

I'm using Inkscape.  I was using gimp which would drive me crazy. Inkscape is so easy to use and has an easy to undertand manual. I have no passion for art what so ever so it's hard to force myself to do it, but I'm noticing improvements. And the  graphics for game I'm working on, although not professional by any stretch of the imagination,  look nice enough to be able to enjoy the game.

I use illustrator for a friends project and even though the results aren't horrible, I keep wanting to make pixel art instead:] I prefer illustrator because it works good with photoshop and shares the same logic in some ways too. Vector art is faster than pixel but for small projects what matters is what style you're more familiar with.

I'd say the most important thing when starting is keeping your art simple. That way you are faster on finishing each asset therefore getting more experience on how everythings done

Vector art is faster than pixel but for small projects what matters is what style you're more familiar with.

Hmm, I don't think so. I'm more familiar with pixelart as well (and I usually prefer it to vector) but pixelart just isn't as attractive to the average consumer.

So it depends on what your target audience is, assuming you're going to monetize it.

Hmm, I don't think so. I'm more familiar with pixelart as well (and I usually prefer it to vector) but pixelart just isn't as attractive to the average consumer.

I like to think its about good execution, not choosing a style; although some game themes just don't do well with pixel art, or reverse

So it depends on what your target audience is, assuming you're going to monetize it.

Couldn't agree more.

i usually outsource for art. I tried doing it myself but my strength is design and development, not art. I have a subscription to adobe creative cloud so I use photoshop and illustrator (gimp and inkscape before that). 

otherwise I found some good local artists I like working at by going to our local game developer meetings.

Inkscape + making my games in 960x640 so they look great on devices of all sizes :) vector art makes that easy

I was thinking about this the other day. Scaled up vs scaled down. I like trying all kinds of graphics and some stuff like pre-rendered graphics and photos just don't look good when scaled up. I'm going to try using this "trick" and see how it goes.

Yeah, that's the trick, look

Scaled up:

14d%20gd.png

14d%20gd%20scale%20up.png

Scaled down:

14d%20gd%20large.png

14d%20gd%20scale%20down.png

The scaled down picture even looks better than the original pre-render (first picture) at half the size. The only problem I can see is the size of my game getting big because of the large graphics.

AAG: You might also find performance issues, since it has to sort through and draw more pixel data. I would make sure to test on a lower end phone throughout the dev process if you plan to use large images. It does look great (I often do it) but you need to be careful with your frame rate.

Gobbogoes, that's great stuff. Does the two step process end up taking much longer?

• 4 weeks later...