The Phaser 3 Wishlist Thread :)

rich

PhaserJS is a brilliant framework that I love very much!

I wish you success and luck in the year 2015.

My humble wishes are:

1. Code optimization with accent on mobile platforms
  2. Good compatibility with firefoxOS
  3. Some Mocking and testing solutions
  4. Collaborate with IDE developers (especially Netbeans) team to make support of your framework on a level of code completion, documentation etc.
  5. Good mood to your team! :)

Forgive me if this is already covered, but I'm new to Phaser and didn't see anything on the forums about this one thing in particular.

I'd love to see a direct way of creating hexagon tile maps, similar to how this is presented: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/9777-hexpixijs/

Thanks for all of your work! I'm really excited to dive into Phaser for my first web game.

I'd like the ability to manipulate tiles in a tilemap the same way as a sprite - add filters such as tinting for example, animations, etc. I realize there are tilesprites, but those aren't the same as tileMAPS. Additionally, something like "apply X filter to all tiles with the index 61", or even better, "apply X filter to tiles [61, 58, 42]" would be amazing.

Support for:

• building with Webpack
  • typechecking with Flow (flowtype.org)
  • hot reloading of graphics and code

It would be so great to edit the graphics or js file of a game entity, hit save, and see it change its behavior in the running game without restarting. I don't think there's an obvious solution for how to do hot reloading -- but some likely candidates are fb-flo (a chrome extension) and webpack's experimental "hot module replacement" feature. They're both rough around the edges at the moment, might be ready before Phaser 3 rolls out.

• 2 weeks later...

Phaser on current gen console browsers. Has this been discussed before? What considerations are there to keep in mind when it comes to something like this?

It seems like a really neat idea. Does Phaser 2 work on them currently? Are consoles something that you are including in the design of Phaser 3?

Console controller support is great, but seeing as most of those controllers are used on their corresponding consoles, it feels like a tack-on feature ATM that could be better utilized on its intended platform.

Also, I hope Phaser 3 doesn't get stylized as PHAS3R. It would look so cheesy IMO. :P

Phaser on current gen console browsers. Has this been discussed before? What considerations are there to keep in mind when it comes to something like this?

It seems like a really neat idea. Does Phaser 2 work on them currently? Are consoles something that you are including in the design of Phaser 3?

Console controller support is great, but seeing as most of those controllers are used on their corresponding consoles, it feels like a tack-on feature ATM that could be better utilized on its intended platform.

Also, I hope Phaser 3 doesn't get stylized as PHAS3R. It would look so cheesy IMO. :P

Here's a link to ps4 browser support.

http://console.maban.co.uk/device/ps4/

If you're talking native I don't know. Maybe Sony, and Microsoft will allow a special browser environment. Maybe not.

Either way it would be a bugaboo to test.

Sony requires a payment to test on their consoles. I don't know what Microsoft requires.

I believe that if it can be compiled a new webkit, or chromium web view will run in those consoles. It wouldn't be that much work to build a loader for games, but there are a few hoops to jump through before it can even be tested. There's a few system specific libs that would get in the way of cross platform too.

The only hope may be javascript to c++ compilation.

The other strange option would be to ship every game with it's own web view. Which might actually be good, but that's the same as having just the loader.

I'd like to see:

• easier chunky pixel "zoomed" graphics support
  • built in, hassle free full-screen support on mobile and desktop
  • built in gesture manager
  • compatibility with Wii U and 3DS
  • more focused examples & demos—perhaps they all live somewhere like jsfiddle?
  • auto spritesheet generator
  • less focus on command line tools like grunt

The Big One:

• a "Phaser Manager" native app (akin to MAMP or CodeKit) to manage the build process would be far easier than the current/recommended workflow.

It may have already been discussed, but I figured i would add it here in case it adds more votes:

A much needed emphasis on the renderer for mobile devices. Pixi only recently added the resolution variable, but it also came with many bugs.

Given that most mobile devices are higher resolution devices, I think this is an absolute must.

Also an emphasis on tools like filters actually working consistently across mobile devices. Mobile browsers now all have WebGL and I think it's time these tools are properly optimized to take advantage of them

It would be great to see anchor points for other game objects.  Namely: group, mask etc.

Both of these examples already have properties like angle, rotation, and scale.  It's strange that they don't have anchor too.  Whenever i need to use angle, rotation or scale.  9 times out of 10 i need the anchor to be 0.5, 0.5, but i can't currently do this.  Precise animation is difficult without the anchor property.

For example; as a work-around for groups, i have to reposition everything within the group negatively.  It's annoying to have to create pseudo-anchor points, and re-calculate everything else in the game around them.

And i haven't found a work-around for masks.

It would be great to see anchor points for other game objects.  Namely: group, mask etc.

Both of these examples already have properties like angle, and rotation, it's strange that they don't have anchor too.  Whenever i use angle and rotation 9 times out of 10 i need the anchor to be 0.5, 0.5, but i can't currently do this.

For example; as a work-around for groups, i have to reposition everything within the group negatively.  It's annoying to have to create pseudo-anchor points, and re-calculate everything else in the game around them.

I think you are looking for the pivot property :) Anchor moves a texture around on a sprite, pivot is the rotation point. When you change the anchor you are still rotating by the top-left corner of the object you just moved the texture so it looks correct.

Possibility to alter the render order of a sprite (or other object that's rendered) in relation to another sprite:

sprite.bringAbove(sprite2);

sprite.bringBelow(sprite2)

(Sorry if this has already been suggested. I haven't read through all three pages of this thread, but tried to search for similar questions with different key words with no results.)

I just thought of something else.

How about more visual debugging? The debug class is nice, but a little more could help.

A global adjustable x/y numbered grid would be nice. For help  with thinking about positions.

An x/y numbered dot on a sprite's anchor would help with working with the grid too.

Also splats on collision edges. To help design work flow. Like how to design a sprite for the best visual collision.

Better separation of concerns. As an example, Sprite is a drawing object; it should not have properties called "health", "lifespan", "damage()",  or "kill()". This is bad because not all drawing objects (Sprites), even in the context of a game, have a concept of "health". These properties should be present in a more specific class, such as Entity. This is just one example of where several independent parts of Phaser bleed together.

I hear the "objects as parameters" request quite often. The issue I have with it is that I don't see any real difference between having to remember magic object properties as to having to remember parameters.

You don't have to remember anything if you use TypeScript and define the parameters as an object. E.g.

class Sprite { constructor(options: SpriteOptions) }class SpriteOptions { ... }

• rich unpinned this topic