OUYA - a new kind of game console.

enpu

ouya_0.jpg

http://www.ouya.tv/

Any thoughts on OUYA?

It seems that it will support HTML5 games via CocoonJS:

#Construct2's Space Blaster running on an #Ouya with controller support, via #CocoonJS! @playouya @ludei pic.twitter.com/e5hN2cDqPg

Scirra pretty much a solid 60 FPS, dropped to about 52 FPS when a lot was going on. Was running in HD too (1920x1080)

It seems to be getting pretty negative reviews all around... its selling point is supposed to be the low price, but really, by shopping around a bit you can get a PS3 cheaper than that.

I personally don't think it'll catch on.

I heard bad reviews, too - especially the controller seems to be problematic (buttons are wobbling around or getting stuck).

Also, the price of ~120€ is very high for a android gaming console with no strong hardware specs... Especially if you compare to the PS3 which is currently at around 160€ here in germany.

The best console possibly ever, definitely in the last 5 years:

supaboy413.jpg

As far as having a flexible interface, they totally nailed it.  Play on a screen with the built in control pad, or on a tv with the controllers.  The development environment isn't quite there for indies though :lol:

As for the Ouya, if they make it through the hard times, maybe they'll be ok.  It seems to be the industry standard nowadays to botch the console launch.

I got my OUYA a few weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased. My expectations were low but I actually think the reason there are so many sour reviews are because people were expecting like a indie ps3 or Xbox360. It's a fun console made to be easy to develop for.

That being said it still needs a lot of support for HTML5. The big holdup is the controller mapping.

Cocoonjs and phonegap seem to be dragging their feet.

I got my OUYA a few weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased. My expectations were low but I actually think the reason there are so many sour reviews are because people were expecting like a indie ps3 or Xbox360. It's a fun console made to be easy to develop for.

That being said it still needs a lot of support for HTML5. The big holdup is the controller mapping.

Cocoonjs and phonegap seem to be dragging their feet.

I think the bad reviews came from the games being bad or badly adapted to the console. Would you confirm?

In the company i work, we received an Ouya recently.... it's a good console, the problems are the games, all the games are kind of shareware, but the demos are too short (some games only allow you to play only once per day).

The HTML5 browser looks good, i haven't try it so much but my game (Banshee a 3D raycasting game) runs almost near to smooth (i think is playable at least). I haven't try the controls on the canvas either (the left stick are arrows key)

It could have a good future but depends a lot of the developers, it could be a good profitable console for indies developers.