when do you ask for your payment

sandy234

Did you already send an invoice to them? If so - I would say send them a kind reminder.

In addition - I would recommend to add some general note on your invoice - saying that the payment is due within the next 14 days or something like that.

As a general rule I never send the game files without first receiving payment. Puts a little fire under them to get busy. Also less likely to be ripped off that way.

interesting i was thinking of the same a while ago, does some sponsors decline if you tell them to pay upfront?

I don't monetize my games, but I have run a business. My terms were usually 14 days (that is, payment due within 14 days of invoice being sent). I usually sent a friendly reminder a week after the 14 day mark hit. With a polite offer to resend the invoice if they "haven't received it". Even if you know you sent it, it's always good to assume that it may not have been delivered and give them an "out", since usually they don't like admitting that they saw an invoice and just ignored it even if both of you know that was the case. So the invoice was late for 5-7 days before I sent a reminder. From there it really depended on the client, but usually they only needed one reminder, sometimes two. 

I don't monetize my games, but I have run a business. My terms were usually 14 days (that is, payment due within 14 days of invoice being sent). I usually sent a friendly reminder a week after the 14 day mark hit. With a polite offer to resend the invoice if they "haven't received it". Even if you know you sent it, it's always good to assume that it may not have been delivered and give them an "out", since usually they don't like admitting that they saw an invoice and just ignored it even if both of you know that was the case. So the invoice was late for 5-7 days before I sent a reminder. From there it really depended on the client, but usually they only needed one reminder, sometimes two. 

Are you a freelancer?

Not anymore. I freelanced for a couple of years doing software QA and web design/development before going back to work in the games industry.

Oh I see, sometimes I don't trust to work at big companies due to full-time limitations and travel required, I had a friend who used work at Activision, then he got fired for no reason it seems Activision could fire the employees in random. I work with Stacraft 2 artist who quit his job and wanting to have own games to deploy in the stores.

I honestly believe keep developing and monetizing each games is more opportune than looking a new job.

Oh I see, sometimes I don't trust to work at big companies due to full-time limitations and travel required, I had a friend who used work at Activision, then he got fired for no reason it seems Activision could fire the employees in random. I work with Stacraft 2 artist who quit his job and wanting to have own games to deploy in the stores.

I honestly believe keep developing and monetizing each games is more opportune than looking a new job.

For some people it totally is. I hear just as many "horror stories" about indie developers struggling to make it on their own. It just depends on what you're looking for and what opportunities are right for you at whatever stage of your life you're in. For my situation working at a bigger studio is definitely the right thing to do. I like working on a larger project with a larger team while working on hobby stuff on the side; it lets me delve into the best of both worlds while helping to make games for a living and continuing to learn on both fronts, which is really all I ever wanted to do.

Send a reminder but still no reply :(

How long ago did you send the reminder and how late is the payment? I know you said it's been 20 days, but if for example your payment terms are 7 days that means it's actually 13 days late as opposed to 20. Do you have any other method of contacting them (like phone)? And how long ago was your last contact with them (not just about payment, but any kind of contact). And also - do you have a signed contract outlining payment amounts, dates, etc, or was this a verbal agreement?