Which framework is better for mobile

AbdSab

You won't get anything faster for mobile than Phaser/Pixi, html5 is inherently pretty slow on mobile devices. You will mostly have trouble with rendering which in that case means you render to many sprites at the same time/to high res sprites.

Phaser is a good choice for mobile if you keep in mind how to use it. 

Regarding speed: HTML5 is pretty fast on mobile and you even get 60FPS on a S3 or even a S3 Mini with a complex game. However, this leads to writing your own (specialized) engine and having a deep technology knowledge how browsers work with your code. This is rather complex. If you go this route depends mainly on your timeframe and if it makes sense (commercially).

I would highly recommend you to have a look at crosswalk ( http://crosswalk-project.org ). I use it for my own games. In general what it does is to wrap the newest webview into your application and works as an extention/modificatio of cordova. Unfortunately, this comes with the drawback that it adds a lot of stuff in terms of size (each game is at least 20mb), but there is also a new branch in developement (I was not yet able to compile my games with it) that reduce lots of features and you might go down to 5-10mb.

TLDR; crosswalk gives you webgl guarantee on most phones ;-)

• 1 month later...

I use Crosswalk for compiling my games (made with Construct 2), too. I do it through Intel XDK.

However, Crosswalk has some issues. Namely, Crosswalk 7 was flagged by Google Play bots for using unsafe version of OpenSSL. This was solved in Crosswalk 10 and later (current version is 12, still beta), but those versions simply didn't give the same performance on mobile as Crosswalk 7 (this is not only my opinion). Few weeks ago, OpenSSL for CW7 was updated, but unfortunately, it seems that developers of Crosswalk **forgot** to revise the version identifier so Google bot still sees Open SSL 1.0.1e instead of 1.0.1h! This trivial error, that bothers many developers still remains unsolved, as I know.

I didn't try out the 'lite' version of Crosswalk (the one that produces smaller apk), since Crosswalk devs don't recommend it for production yet. I see that there is already one 'heavy' trade off - the app start get additional delay, which already is a problem with Crosswalk.

Don't get me wrong - I'm aware that compiling html5 project into native app is a hard task. I do give advantage to Crosswalk before CocoonJs, for example.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/16/2015 at 0:09 AM, Phaeton91 said:

I second C2 with Intel XDK, not neccesarily through Crosswalk, it works like a charm if you build the game properly and respect some basic guidelines.

I used intel xdk and build my very simple game but it is very slow. have you suggestion to make it better.

My game (you can try in my game signature) is made with Phaser 2.4.4 + cordova/crosswalk.

It runs at 60fps in most devices (even older ones). So I am pretty happy with my Phaser choice.

I left the FPS counter in the game settings, so you can try it on your own device. It's a simple game, but it has some images and sound.

• 5 months later...