iOS7 is going to break your games

rich

Why did this take so long apple??

because Apple doesn't give a damn about web-apps, now more than ever it is clear that 99% of the Apple resources are on native apps. With iOS5 it seemed that Apple took the right direction, but this last iOS7 is nothing but a joke. Good for browsing, not for web-apps (not to mention games)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried minimal-ui in my WIP landscape-game and it worked as expected, beautiful! The touch restriction of the browser base has been removed and if the user click on the top of the browser to display the bars, it's only necessary a tap into the game canvas to hide all. I worried about remake my WIP to portrait, but now I see that it's not longer necessary, iOS 7.1 will let us make nice landscape games again.  :)

Does anyone know if iOS 7 autoupdates nowadays?

Also, if there's any somewhat reliable info on what percentage is on iOS 7 or later etc.

I tested iOS 7.1 Beta through Apple Developer Program. I think (and hope) that the official version will be released soon, because it's the third beta. Maybe February? Crossed fingers.

• 1 month later...

I got really excited about this minimal-ui thing, but then I got this bug on my game:

https://w3g.jp/blog/studies/ios7_1_minimal-ui_warning

(only website I found mentioning the bug, Google Translate ftw)

If this post is offering a solution, I can't figure out how it is.

I "fixed" by always scrolling back to top, but I'm not fond of doing this.

Is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT: found another link mentioning it: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?282632-2.3.1a-quot-minimal-ui-quot-breaks-viewport-position-on-iOS-7.1-when-rotated-to-landscape

Has anyone got screenshots of what 'minimal-ui' actually does? Does it make landscape mode not totally awful, or just allow more screen space to be used in portrait, or what?

From my experience it basically works as advertised. it automatically minimizes the chrome on page load, which is good because my app is ful screen and deosn't scroll, so i couldn't use any scrolling tricks. Tap the top really smoothly brings the chrome bck and tapping anywhere inside minimizes it again. there seems to be some kind of fuzzy logic handling taps near the top of the screen when there is a clickable button there. I was able to click buttons near the top of my screen most of the time. i would't put buttons right at top if you can help it but Apple's algorithm seems pretty good at detecting the difference.

Here's some screenshots.

post-3902-0-61823600-1394730339_thumb.jp